Advanced user management: easily create and manage data collectors

Here’s an updated and more detailed flow:

Thanks @designer_horizontal!

@tinok after consulting with partners, we went for something a bit different. We created a new “Users” tab to manage users and group for the whole account. Once the users/groups are created, we would just need to go to the Sharing menu of the relevant form and share the permission(s) we want with the user(s) or group(s).

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, @raph and for the design @designer_horizontal! I may have missed it, but how would users create groups?

And how exactly are groups used? I get you can add/remove people from groups but not what effect this has. I suspect you imply adding groups in the current permissions screen?

How would users create groups?

Clicking on the “Groups” button on the left, and then on “New group” on the right

And how exactly are groups used? I get you can add/remove people from groups but not what effect this has. I suspect you imply adding groups in the current permissions screen?

Yes that is correct. The point of groups is to prevent having to give/edit/remove permissions to dozens, or sometimes hundreds of users. By putting all users in different groups, we would just have to go to the current permission screen, enter the group name, and select the permissions.

I edited the original post for clarity and to include a user story.

@raph It’s good to know that this feature is progressing. Is there any timeline on when it might be available?

Hi @davidwales I’m not part of the Kobo team, I was just pitching in with ideas and designs. But I believe there is not timeline yet for this feature

This would be so helpful. Write now I have to create separate accounts to enable log ins before viewing the forms, Kindly let us know when this can be actualized.

Thanks team.

1 Like

Also, having the ability to see every single user that created an account on your server would be great.
Right now I’m not sure how to check if somebody have hijacked my kobotoolbox instance for their own use.

With such a user management feature, it should then be possible to disable the ‘Create new account’ feature too.

1 Like

@paperSheet This seems to be a different objective. To see every user on the server you have to use your superadmin account (which you created when you installed the instance). From there you can see all users in the Django backend. To be sure, no one is ‘hijacking’ your server if you’re allowing anyone to register for an account (which can also be turned off in the Django backend). For more questions on this please post in the ‘KoBo on your own server’ category.

1 Like

Thanks @tinok, I eventually figured that the users created with the Django super admin could only work with kobo if their username did not contain a dot.
From there I could indeed mass create users.

Good Day everyone.
I dont have any idea of Django and i would love to create user and manage users(Collaborators) for my forms on Kobo collect is there any other way of doing it?

Welcome back to the community @daniel! Maybe you could create them manually like you did for your normal user account.

Thanks for your response.
It means i will have to Create email for each contributor right?

Hi @daniel, you can have a look at my answers over here:

and here if that’s helpful.

If you create users through the shell you don’t need to assign email addresses, however it’s probably recommended for your own management.

1 Like

Hi, has there been any progress in developing the discussed user management feature? I am not sure, yet, whether I have really understood what is currently possible to distinguish users with different rights, but I feel that the respective help section didn’t really help me (rather: Do you think everyone who uses the app will have to create a ‘new’ user ID under the Humanitarianresponse.info server? - User Support / Account Issues - KoBoToolbox Community Forum) and that the need for the discussed feature is immense.

Hi all,

New to the forum as a user but a satisfied KoBoToolbox user for some time now. I also wonder if there is an update regarding this topic? I can only confirm that also our projects would benefit from centralised / advanced user management.

Kindest regards,

Niels

Hi @niels396
Welcome to the community f.orum. It would be helpful if you explained your user management context and we can then be specific on what has been addressed by recent developments. It would be helpful if you also had a look at our announcement section in the forum to see what has transpired in the releases.

Stephane

1 Like

Hi Josh could you please help me creating users on my own kobo server? I try to do it normally but I get crashed when I create the user and don’t work.
Thank you

Hi @SantiTamariz, please keep self-hosting related queries to the #kobo-install section :+1: