Beginner questions

Hi there,

I am new to Kobo and am working to create a shell for data entry (we are doing paper data collection). I have a few very beginner questions, but your advice would be incredibly helpful!

• How do I indicate missing data? For example, I want a constraint to be if ${fieldname} = missing (or not missing)
  • Is there a time only field that is not linked to the current time, but options to input values for a 24 hour clock?
  • How might I create a select_multiple with MULTIPLE other options connected to text. I have done the or_other in type, which is terrific, but many of my questions have multiple other options.
    Thanks so much!!

Hi Ginger,

Welcome to the KoBo community. Please see below for details to your questions:

How do I indicate missing data? For example, I want a constraint to be if ${fieldname} = missing (or not missing)

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Could you give a more detailed example please?

Is there a time only field that is not linked to the current time, but options to input values for a 24 hour clock?

The time, date, and date-time questions all default to the current device time and date. If you want to have the default value be a different one you can just enter this into the question’s settings, such as ‘16:00’ for 4pm or 2014-08-01 for 1 August 2014. Note that default values are saved as such if not changed by the user - just like when using the current system time or date. See the attached screenshot for an example.

How might I create a select_multiple with MULTIPLE other options connected to text. I have done the or_other in type, which is terrific, but many of my questions have multiple other options.

The best way to link multiple ‘other’ responses to additional text entry questions is to create a separate text question for each response and then create a skip logic link for each question so that they are only displayed if the relevant condition was used. ‘or_other’ is a shortcut in XLSForm but only works for one option and doesn’t allow you to edit the question label.

Best,

Tino

···

On Thu Feb 26 2015 at 6:53:32 AM Ginger Golub gingerma...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi there,

I am new to Kobo and am working to create a shell for data entry (we are doing paper data collection). I have a few very beginner questions, but your advice would be incredibly helpful!

• How do I indicate missing data? For example, I want a constraint to be if ${fieldname} = missing (or not missing)
  • Is there a time only field that is not linked to the current time, but options to input values for a 24 hour clock?
  • How might I create a select_multiple with MULTIPLE other options connected to text. I have done the or_other in type, which is terrific, but many of my questions have multiple other options.
    Thanks so much!!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.