Cascading select for other options not showing that usually should based on previous response

good morning,

I’m using cascading select_one for locations. Select_one Area- Select_one Baladiya- Select_one Muhalla.
One of the selections under Baladiya is an ‘other’ option, with text entering.

However, I cannot exclude the selection of ‘other’ from then showing the select_one Muhalla question. Because under ‘relevant’, there are previous options related to area and Baladiya in the select_one Muhalla I’ve tried also adding ‘not selected’ but whenever I try to use ‘selected ’ or not selected’ in relevant column, they NEVER function. Help!!

Hi @sintang20,

Would you mind having a look at the post discussed previously, it should help you give an idea of how the same can be designed in an xlsform:

Have a great day!

Thanks Kal_Lam, I tried this, it works fine for those that are selected, the problem is excluding those that I don’t want. NOT selected does not work. Is there another way of writing ‘not’ rather than the not(selected)?

perhaps I’m not being clear. I want to put the ‘other’ option at the area/baladiya level because there are 3 areas with 102 baladiyas with 667 muhallas. If I put ‘other’ at the baladiya/muhalla level, then there are way too many others to enter.

this works fine- selected options being: ${geodivision} = ‘east’ or ${geodivision} = ‘west’ or ${geodivision} = ‘south’

The problem is with excluding specific 'other selections in the previous select_one: I’ve tried like this:
not(selected(${baladiya}, ‘other_baladiya_south’ or ‘other_baladiya_west’ or ‘other_baladiya_east’))

and like this: not(selected(${baladiya} ‘other_baladiya_south’)) and 'not(selected(${baladiya} ‘other_baladiya_west’)) and not(selected(${baladiya} ‘other_baladiya_east’))

Hi @sintang20,

Could you share your xlsform with the community and provide a clear picture of how you wish to see your survey form so that the community could help you out.

Have a great day!

how? I’ve tried but it won’t upload?

unable to deploy

your form cannot be deployed because it contains errors:

Expecting value: line 2 column 1 (char 1)

Hi @sintang20,

Would you mind sharing it with the community like you shared the image in the very first post?

Have a great day!

survey.xls (153 KB) Oh, this time it worked!!

I do NOT want the muhalla question to show, when previously ‘other’ was selected. This is all

Hi @sintang20,

Could you do the following:

• Share with us a compatible version of the xlsform (as the cells are protected with the current version).

Have a great day!

I didn’t even protect it- oh, how annoying! Let me know if this works? survey.xls (153 KB)

Hi @sintang20,

It’s still protected:

Have a great day!

Survey.xlsx (59.9 KB) try again!

Hi @sintang20,

It’s OK now. Will get back to you when fixed.

Have a great day!

Hi @sintang20,

One quick issue identified. When checking it through this site, i see that there are choice names that are repeating.

Could you kindly have a look at them first.

Reference xlsform:
Survey.xlsx (59.9 KB)

Have a great day!

Thanks Kal_Lam, there are indeed many duplicate names at the muhalla level, but they are each in different baladiyas so aren’t in error. My understanding is that if they are distinctly identifiable, there shouldn’t be a problem?

Hi @sintang20,

Would you mind making them unique by using some signs such as _1' or _aetc. The more unique thenameis for eachlist_name` the better and easier to manage data.

Have a great day!

I completely understand what you are suggesting and why- the problem here is that this list of locations is aligned with the list used by other units within the organisation.
To make changes on the names will affect how the data will align with their lists already in use I believe- i.e. the intention is eventually to link data collected from these surveys etc, that this list of locations will form a part of, will be matched to their coordinates for mapping. If I make changes to the names, then my understanding is that then they will also need to make changes so they will align? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but they already have SQL developed and in use, using this exact list of place names…