Constraint Message isn't real time and disappears quickly

My problem is that constraint messages don’t show up in the Kobo Collect App like they do when you test via the web form. On the web form if I enter a value that does not meet the criteria I get the error message I have customized. However on the Kobo Collect App and ODK app, the messages do not come up as invalid values are added, they come up when you try to save and finalise but they do not stay there (to show which questions are invalid) so it’s hard to know why the form won’t save (if you are for example a non technical field enumerator). Please help!

Hi @JCB,

Welcome to the community! Would like to confirm that the constraint message should work fine for both KoBoCollect as well as ODK Collect. Would you mind checking out the attached xlsform with constraint message. Maybe the constraints used in the example would help sort out your xlsform that does not show the same.

Constraint Example.xls (27.5 KB)

GOOD DAY!

Hey thank you for replying but the xls form works and if I try to complete the form via the web form then the constraints and constraint messages work fine. The problem is that in the Kobo collect app and the ODK app constraint messages do not appear after an invalid value has been entered. They appear when I try to save and finalise but they last for a very short time and do not leave any indication of which question is invalid if you have missed the message. Is there anyway I can lengthen the duration of the constraint message or highlight invalid responses?

Hi @JCB,

This is the constraint message that you should see (which i see in my KoBoCollect android app):

GOOD DAY!

So yes online the message comes up right away but on the kobo collect and odk even though the same values are added no constraint message, until I try to save then a message appears but it is very quick and doesn’t stay. after it has disappeared it’s difficult to know which question had the problem. I don’t know if this is happening because my questions are in a group? but then it works online?

same values no message

constraint message there but does no question is highlighted and the message disappears almost immediately

Hi @JCB,

Yes, this is how we see the constraint message in ODK Collect as well as KoBoCollect. Kindly please be informed that they are different from those that you see in the web form (Enketo).

GOOD DAY!