Data export missing from a repeat question

I see the data in kobo table, but when I do export the information is lost. Wonder if you could find a solution for that.

Any update on this issue? We are so reliant on data export, and we cannot start the next survey round in Madagascar in April 2023 without updating our census list. Thank you so much

Hi Josh - My name is Hervet, and I am a Ph.D. student at Harvard doing research in Madagascar using KoboToolBox.

We could not see data in the export file that we could see in the preview, mostly specifically for the “repeat group questions”. Do you have any solutions for that? We have not heard back from the Kal_Lam yet.

Also, we want to make sure that data are not lost but are still on the server.

Thanks, Hervet

Hi Hervet,

Thank you for reaching out, and I’m sorry you’re facing this issue with you data exports! Please rest assured that if your data shows in the table view it is certainly still on the server. Sometimes there are bugs in the export that can result in something like this. Can you please share the following details with me so I can take a look:

• Server (humanitarian/non-humanitarian)
  • Username
  • Project name

Hi Josh - thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Server: non-humanitarian
Username: xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx
Project name
We have two main projects: Household and Individual projects. Because we have a massive list of household members in different villages (12 villages), we have separated household and individual projects using the same questions. Only the village and household member names differ for household and individual projects.

Here is the list of the projects:
Household_Andrea
Household_Romario
Household_Eric
Household_madeleine (m is a lowercase)

Individual_Andrea
Individual_Romario
Individual_Eric
Individual_Madeleine

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks, Hervet

Hi @hervet_16, thank you for these details. Are all the projects listed here facing the same issue?

Hi @Josh - the issues only appeared in all “household” projects. Thanks. Hervet

Welcome to the community, @AsOs! Apologies for getting back late @hervet_16! When checking your project, I could see the repeat group data stored safely even when downloading your data. FYR:

We also have a post previously discussing how the data is stored when downloading the data in XLS format. Please also be informed that all the repeat groups are stored in a separate sheet when downloading your data.

However, please also note that if you download your data in CSV format, you will not see these sheets (as, at the moment, CSV format does not support the repeat group data).

1 Like

Hi! Dear @Josh and @Kal_Lam, can you also check our project? I see that you are discussing with others, but still can’t see any common solution for this issue.
@hervet_16 have you been able to restore your data?

@AsOs, would you mind sharing with me the following information through a private message so that I could have a closer look at your case:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Note: You could share with me a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

Hi @Kal_Lam , thanks for your reply.
I think the probelm is on the sheet Census questionnaire. Actually, all the new member in the household should be listed in the Census_questionnaire. In this example we should have 20 new members,
Capture d’écran du 2023-03-30 14-38-56
Capture d’écran du 2023-03-30 14-39-45

however I just have the list of 11 members in the census questionaire.

I checked the other sheet but there is no new member apart from the one in the cesus questionnaire.

@Ar_MF any suggestions how to solve it? How can I restore the data I already collected and how to prevent such situation for future?

@AsOs, could you also share the question for this column? Maybe that would also give us an idea of what could have gone wrong.

@AsOs I don’t have the solution yet, I still have that issue I mentioned above.

@Ar_MF, have you also shared the details with me through a private message so I could check out your case?

@Kal_Lam It’s in the same project that @hervet_16 shared. We are working in the same project. That’s why I was more precise when I talked about the sheet Census questionnaire . The data on this screenshot is from the example you took.(Household_Andrea)

@Ar_MF, did you check this post here:

I could see the repeat group responses there. If it’s a case-specific issue, please let me know by providing the _id so that I can have a closer look at it.

Yes I’ve checked it.
217543785 - 217543764 - 216604717 Those are 3 examples. In the Household_Andrea sheet, they replied that they had new member but I can’t find those new member when I check the new member in the Census_questionnaire or in others sheets.

To clarify, the number of observations in the kobo preview dashboard is the census sheet not the same as in the XLS exported file.

Hi @Josh - do you have any updates on the issue we faced? For the next round of follow-up- which will happen in one week- we had to manually type the census list from the DATA table because we needed to update our member list for each follow-up. Hopefully, we can get the data from the export files for the next follow-up in July. Best, Hervet