How to measure distance between two sources?

Dear KoBo Toolbox support team.
I am a new member of the KoBo Toolbox community. I am working on designing a assessment of IDP camps. Among the needs is to determine the distance between the camp and the water sources as well as the distance between the camp and the local markets. My question: How can I calculate the distance automatically by KoBo Toolbox, thanks to everyone. apologized for my bad English

Amjad

Have a look at https://forum.opendatakit.org/t/calculate-distance-between-geopoints/19846 for a simple solution for measuring distance between two user-selected geopoints

2 Likes

Dear Amzad, Simply you can take each sample geopoint, then you can import these in google earth and see the distance, or can import in ArcGIS for further analysis.

1 Like

Hi Amjad
There are multiple scenarios for how you would measure distance and I would like to post some here in.

Scenario 1: If you know the GPS location of the two points.
This scenarios is best explained by the post from @Xiphware

Scenario 2: If the measurement is not based on the GPS coordinates but rather the respondents assessment

This is a most common case within the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) related studies. In this case you may have to use the means of transport and time taken to estimate the distance. Ideally what this does is that it takes a mentioned means of transport and the time it takes as provided in the example below

You would then use a conversion meter e,g. for the above we used the conversion

Ideally with this you can then create a conversion using a calculate question which outputs the distance covered.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Dear Stephane
thank you very much ,this was very useful for me .
best regards
Amjad

1 Like

Dear Suman
thank you very much for your support . I think you mean manual import . but in field this difficult for enumerator. thanks again.
best regards
Amjad

1 Like

Dear Stephane
thank you very much ,this was very useful for me .
best regards
Amjad

1 Like

Hello,
a more methodological hint. Our experience is that more valid data can be collected, if you do not ask households (either by distance or time/transport), but you collect objective GPS data and measure thand, like waterhole GPS and middle of the camp GPS (or HH GPS). If you have digital maps (or camp images) you can also make distance circles around the waterhole, and so you will see distances of HH groups.
Kind regards

2 Likes