Error loading survey: cascading choices can only reference one choice list" when I try to edit the form in the form builder UI

Hell All,
It looks like there is not a final response to this topic. I have exactly the same problem (I can preview form, answer the form, but cannot edit it).
I think my cascading is well set up (in the XLS form) but I keep having the error message " *Error loading survey: cascading choices can only reference one choice list" when I try to edit the form in the form builder UI.

When I check my form here ODK - XLSForm Online v2.x it works well.

Can anyone help ?

MAMII_baseline_SN 01-04-2021.xls (319 KB)

@ohebie, while looking to your xlsform I could see that your xlsform had duplicates under the name column of the choices sheet:

In the other hand, I could also see spaces and some unsupported characters under the choices sheet:

Try fixing these (by providing a unique name, name without a space and using supportive characters) and your issue should be solved.

OK. Thanks @Kal_Lam ! I will try fixing these issues and see if it solves my issue. Thanks for your support.

1 Like

Hello,
You also have duplicate names in your survey sheet. You can found it in a created $given_name column when you download your form as XLS.

**name**	...			**$given_name**
note_intro_001	...	note_intro
visa_001		...	visa
hh_condition_001	...  hh_condition

They are automatically changed by the KoBo system. But your references are not adapted to the changed names, so can create inconsistent behaviour.

In your settings you allow_choice_duplicates = yes. If you remove this you will get a warning in the XLSForm validator.
image.

The XLSForm validator. in your case (unfortunately) does not report the duplicate names in the survey sheet. The reason seems to be that they are inside different groups. But on the same level or on higher and lower level together (e.g. outside all groups and inside one group) you would get
image.

Maybe @Kal_Lam to review, please, if this non-reporting of “duplicates” inside different groups is an expected behaviour of the XLSForm validator. (KoBo will rename them!)

Thanks all.
I made all the changes suggested by both @Kal_Lam and @wroos but I am still having the error message “Error loading survey: cascading choices can only reference one choice list”.

I checked several times but I am not seeing the source of this error.

Please, would you mind running again my form in whatever tool you use to check inconstancy?

Kind regards,
Oumarou.

MAMII_baseline_SN 12-04-2021.xls (319 KB)

@ohebie, I checked your xlsform and they should be fine. It did not show any error with the online validator:

Neither did it have any issues while uploading the same in the KoBoToolbox server:

1 Like

This is well noted @Kal_Lam ! Thanks a lot for your support.

Best,
Oumarou.

2 Likes