From Argentina (II)

Jorge,

I hope you don’t mind if I go ahead and share your question with the KoBo Users mailing list, your question is one that plenty of people will benefit from.

Jorge writes, " I know KoBo Toolbox allow to include in the survey other kinds of media like photos, audio and videos. … Can you tell me how I can do it, please?"

Including media is a great way to get useful data. A picture is worth a thousand words.

To add a picture, audio, or video question in KoBoForm, simply use the ADD menu in the interface. There is a drop down arrow where you can select the type of question you want to add.

image.png

You can choose several different types of media questions to include.

image.png

KoBoForm will write the appropriate XML, which will look like this:

When you collect media data, the media is stored along with the output XML survey in its own directory under the ‘instance’ directory on your SDcard.

···

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Jorge Luis Alonso G. jorge...@redepapa.org wrote:

Neil, I will send you this question to the mailing list. I think this

is the right place to clarify my question

Jorge

2011/11/27 Jorge Luis Alonso G. jorge...@redepapa.org:

Hi Neil,

I am writing an article in Spanish about KoBo Toolbox. While I do it

appear in my mind some “white spaces”. For example: I know KoBo

Toolbox allow to include in the survey other kinds of media like

photos, audio and videos. However, I do not remember have seen in

which moment of the survey we can include them. Can you tell me how I

can do it, please?

Saludos

Jorge Luis Alonso G.

Twitter: @JL_Alonso

Blog:Teléfonos inteligentes como TIC para el desarrollo, http://tiny.cc/6vzg2

Google+: gplus.to/jalonso

San Juan, Argentina

P.S: Please note tha the link to "Read More about the benefits of

Digital Data Collection" (FAQ) is broken.

Jorge Luis Alonso G.

Gestor de contenidos de:

Red Electrónica de la Papa, www.redepapa.org

Iniciativa Papa Andina, www.papandina.org

Editor de noticias de:

PotatoPro, www.potatopro.com

Global Initiative on Late Blight, www.twitter.com/GILB_CIP

Twitter: @JL_Alonso

Blog:Teléfonos inteligentes como TIC para el desarrollo, http://tiny.cc/6vzg2

Linkedin, www.linkedin.com/in/jorgeluisalonso

Google+: gplus.to/jalonso

San Juan, Argentina

One of our Team KoBo pointed out that Jorge may have been interested in putting Media images in the labels, or in place of selection option text.

This is a new feature and requires that you edit the XML. These changes are made in the iText section of the XML. Each label or option has its own iText, find the relevant line and include the media in the definition, using a jr:// indicator. That will let KoBo know it should get the media from storage.

jr://images/neil.png

The media files should be placed in /sdcard/odk/forms/[formname]-media. For example, for the form neil.xml, the media would go into /sdcard/odk/forms/neil-media.

In the body of the form, where the question appears, you don’t need to do anything special, just use the code as it is generated by KoBoForm.

When the user launches the form, these pieces of media will replace the text. You can also use pieces of audio, just change the ‘value’ attribute to refer to an audio file like this:

jr://images/neil.mp3

Users might make use of this function for presenting images that subjects need to identify (i.e. Do you recognize this logo?) or to allow users to select from a graphical range of options, like sad face to smiley face.

Hope that is useful,
~Neil