Help with Unique ID and Date Format

Hi,

Am new to Kobo.

I have got a series of forms up and we want to test this out on small holder research. I do have some need for help.

Q1. On Date question, is there a way to just select a Year and not a full D/M/Y?

Q2. How can we have a form generate a unique record ID? I need the form to give a "respondentID"to the respondent as we will want to reference this later in other forms.

Q3. How could we lookup a "respondentID" created in the first form?

Q4. Are we able to create a shape with the mapping tool? I need to outline the shape of the farm instead or putting a dot.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Reza

Hi Reza,

Q1: You can change the ‘Appearance’ of the data question to just ‘year’, which will work in Collect and Enketo on Desktops. Otherwise you can create a select one question with the relevant years included.

Q2/Q3: Each submission receives an automatic unique ID in the column ‘uuid’ as well as in the column ‘_index’. To create a custom ID each time that you refer to later I would suggest a different approach:

• Prepare unique IDs before going into the field, add a barcode for each ID (e.g. with Microsoft Office’s mailmerge feature, or one of the many free solutions here)
  • Print the paper IDs and hand out the unique sheets to different interviewers to avoid duplication
  • Interview the first respondent/household and scan the barcode in KoBoCollect with the Barcode question.
  • Leave the barcode sheet at the household or issue a permanent plastic ID for them to keep
  • For all future interviews you can always come back to the same household and scan the ID, thereby uniquely identifying the same respondent
    Q4: You can do that using the ‘geotrace’ or ‘geopoint’ question types. Note that these are not yet supported in the formbuilder but can be created in XLSForm and imported into KoBoToolbox for your form.

Best,

Tino

···

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Reza Azmi ray...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Am new to Kobo.

I have got a series of forms up and we want to test this out on small holder research. I do have some need for help.

Q1. On Date question, is there a way to just select a Year and not a full D/M/Y?

Q2. How can we have a form generate a unique record ID? I need the form to give a "respondentID"to the respondent as we will want to reference this later in other forms.

Q3. How could we lookup a “respondentID” created in the first form?

Q4. Are we able to create a shape with the mapping tool? I need to outline the shape of the farm instead or putting a dot.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Reza

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks Tim for the tips.

Let me try and revert if I have issues. It sounds like I have what I need to get going.

My team picked up that Bumbers questions won't accept numbers less than 1. Is there a workaround for that? See https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/#YYgV

Land areas are usually less than 1.

Thanks,

Reza

Okay - ignore the last question on numbers less than 1. I found the “decimal” option hidden on the second row!

BTW - did have a problem with the “geoshape” option.

I created a GPS questions, then downloaded the form, edited the “geopoint” to “geoshape” and then uploaded. In the form builder it generated an error saying it can’t be imported. See enclosed. What have I done wrong? or should I ignore the error.

Thanks

Reza

···

On Friday, 3 June 2016 21:25:58 UTC+8, Reza Azmi wrote:

Thanks Tim for the tips.
Let me try and revert if I have issues. It sounds like I have what I need to get going.

My team picked up that Bumbers questions won’t accept numbers less than 1. Is there a workaround for that? See https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/#YYgV

Land areas are usually less than 1.

Thanks,

Reza