Index repeat repetition

Hi support,

I am trying to get a household roster situated for additional members of the household. There seems to be an error as the names of the additional members are joining and not showing separately. Can you look at rows 92 -102 to indicate to me where I am going wrong in using the indexed repeat group?

rentprogrammesupport.xlsx (46.4 KB)

Hi @scherrie,

You could design your survey form as shown in the image below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:
Image 2

In the settings tab of your xlsform:
Image 3

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
rentprogrammesupport.xlsx (11.9 KB)

Have a great day!

Hello,
just an additional hint: Be careful. If after the second repeat, you move back and delete (or add) a member in the first repeat, references already used in the second repeat will mix up! It only works fine, if you delete the last case in the first repeat (or add one at the end)…
This is esp. a problem, if you don’t fix the repeats by total of HH members (repeat_count), asked before.
Kind regards

1 Like

Hi wroos, thanks for your advice. But I am confused. How it was suggested for me to create the form does not suggest me asking the question of how many household members, before the first repeat. If I do so, then I can use the data column name to set the dynamic repeat count. I am still uncertain how to use pull data.

I would like to do the following:

1. Get all the names of the household members
  2. Thereafter, I will want all members to answer about 6 questions.
  3. Thereafter, once the primary applicant(s) could be identified, I need to ask them specifically another 6 questions.
    All the data is to be collected in the same survey form

Hello,
the noted problem is independent of the fixed or open repeat list. It is related to the fact, that the cross-refernce is by position(…) in the repeats. The difference if you fix the repeat before, the enumerator will only be able to delete or add from the end, which reduce the risk of mixing up the cross-references used already.

You can find some advanced examples here:
https://support.kobotoolbox.org/en/articles/592365-grouping-questions-and-repeating-groups
Repeat Recipes and Tips — ODK Docs or https://forum.getodk.org/t/randomly-select-a-name-from-age-group-under-5-5-15-over-15/20696/5
Kind regards