Kobo Sync without SD card

Hi, I wondering if it’s possible to use Kobo Post Processor to sync files from an android device (Samsung Galaxy 7) that doesn’t have an SD card. I’ve had ODK Collect (and, more recently, Kobo collect) on the tablet for some time now and have built forms, completed forms and uploaded surveys via wireless. All that is fine. But our team in the field won’t have access to wireless. So I’m trying to see if we can use Kobo Post Processor to upload the files from the tablets to laptops in the field. However, when I hook the tablet up to the laptop via a USB connection, Kobo Post Processor doesn’t recognise the tablet as being there. Then I realised the problem is probably that the tablet doesn’t have an SD card. Completed forms are stored on the tablet in an Instances file which itself is in an ODK file. So is it possible to use the Post Processor without an SD card?

Sure it is possible to use the Post Processor (now called KoBoSync) to sync your data from your device to your computer.

There are two paths:

1. There must be a way to cause your tablet to mount as an external storage device, like a USB stick. In that case, you can simply set the path to the external storage for completed forms on your device in the KoBoSync settings.
  2. Alternatively, move your completed surveys to a folder on your desktop computer. Copy them to your desktop or some other location. Then, set the sync path in KoBoSync to this directory so that it picks up the completed surveys from there, instead of looking for a mounted external device.
  3. I thought of a third path. Use DropSync and Dropbox to wirelessly synchronize your data from your device to your desktop. Then set the KoBoSync path to the dropbox folder where you are moving your completed surveys. KoBoSync will aggregate them from there to wherever you want to export your final CSV.

I hope that helps, please let me know if we can provide any other guidance.

~Neil Hendrick

KoBo Developer

···

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM, John B timorlest...@gmail.com wrote:

Kobo Post Processor to sync files from an android devi