[KoBo Users] Deploying KoBo Framework on Our Server

Hi Hossein,
Great to hear from you. I’m moving this to the kobo-developers group which we recently created for this kind of discussion.

We would definitely love your input and code changes through pull requests. But we can definitely work together and should discuss in advance on specific issues to make sure you’re in the loop with our current and planned work.

On i18n (as mentioned in your other message): We definitely want to implement this rather sooner than later and would welcome your patches. For dkobo and the forthcoming new API this has already been considered but let’s see how we can move on this more quickly with your help.

To confirm, all of KoBoToolbox is published under open source licenses, see individual repos on github.

For the other issues I’ll let Alex respond to your specific questions.

Cheers,

Tino

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:46 AM, Chroma mhazadma...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi KoBo community!

For a data collecting project we are going to install the kobotoolbox stack on our own servers. We have quite a few questions after our initial testing.

1. Please confirm the licenses are Affero/BSD/Apache for koboform/kobocat/enketo-express respectively.

2. What is the current relationship of kobocat with onadata project? They have announced a beta version recently, but it seems you haven’t pulled their commits since the time you have forked the project, nor pushed anything upstream. They’ve done some bugfixing as well. Do you plan to update onadata-related parts in kobocat or is it used as a base you are not going to do major updates on?

3. Do you release occasionally? Your dist-kobo-devel installation method pulls the latest code from git repos. Assuming we start our server using just that, is it safe to pull to the newest changes whenever we want to update our server software (after probably reviewing commits and testing things ourselves)?
    A concern for us is, if you change the database schema, do you release patches or database migration scripts that will handle the changes in database handling?

4. Your dist-kobo-devel scripts have issues; e.g Chris Lea’s repos are now being replaced by NodeSource’s repos, postgres 9.4 is already out. And user name is fixed to ‘vagrant’ which is a problem if the kobo stack is going to be used outside vagrant. Do you plan updating these or accept pull requests?

5. Do you have a roadmap on what are you going to implement next? With our requirements we may have to implement additional features. Would you like us to discuss and send pull requests for you?

Sorry for the length in advance and the uncertain tone in our questions!

Best Regards;
Hossein Azady.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

1 Like

Hi Tino, thanks for your response!

I didn’t notice the existence of this developers group eariler. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards;
Hossein.

···

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:55:41 PM UTC+4:30, Tino Kreutzer wrote:

Hi Hossein,
Great to hear from you. I’m moving this to the kobo-developers group which we recently created for this kind of discussion.

We would definitely love your input and code changes through pull requests. But we can definitely work together and should discuss in advance on specific issues to make sure you’re in the loop with our current and planned work.

On i18n (as mentioned in your other message): We definitely want to implement this rather sooner than later and would welcome your patches. For dkobo and the forthcoming new API this has already been considered but let’s see how we can move on this more quickly with your help.

To confirm, all of KoBoToolbox is published under open source licenses, see individual repos on github.

Cheers,

Tino

1 Like

Hi Hossein,

You may be referring to a different script but fwiw, for enketo express, the node installation change for vagrant is in the pipeline. I personally wouldn’t use vagrant to set up a public production server. Here is detailed tutorial to install an Enketo Production server properly:

How To Install Enketo On Ubuntu 18.04. Definitely let me know if you see issues with this tutorial!

Cheers,
Martijn

···

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 12:32:24 PM UTC-6, Chroma wrote:

Hi Tino, thanks for your response!

I didn’t notice the existence of this developers group eariler. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards;
Hossein.

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:55:41 PM UTC+4:30, Tino Kreutzer wrote:

Hi Hossein,

Cheers,

Tino

2 Likes

Hello Martin;
Thanks for the link!

Yes I was referring to GitHub - kobotoolbox/dist-kobo-devel: A script to download and configure all server components of KoBoToolbox for installation on a local machine which tries to install nodejs for all components. With regard to Enketo, it seems there are shell scripts for it in the mentioned repo but it actually uses enketo_install.old.bash instead.

Will probably ask a question regarding production deployment when we want to do it separately.

Best Regards;
Hossein.

···

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 12:38:04 AM UTC+4:30, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote:

Hi Hossein,

You may be referring to a different script but fwiw, for enketo express, the node installation change for vagrant is in the pipeline. I personally wouldn’t use vagrant to set up a public production server. Here is detailed tutorial to install an Enketo Production server properly:

http://blog.enketo.org/install-enketo-production-ubuntu/. Definitely let me know if you see issues with this tutorial!

Cheers,
Martijn

Hi, Hossein. Just to give some context, the folder of Enketo Express (EE) installation scripts you noticed in the dist-kobo-devel repo were our attempt at making the EE setup process idempotent and breaking it up into multiple scrips, akin to how KoBoForm and KoBoCAT are installed. Unfortunately, once we’d tested the new process out, we neglected to make a PR to get those changes into the EE repo, and as such, Martijn’s installation process diverged from ours and we’ve had to revert to using entketo_install.old.bash to kick off his single installation script.

Regards,

Esmail

···

On Jun 9, 2015, at 10:20, Chroma mhazadma...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello Martin;
Thanks for the link!

Yes I was referring to https://github.com/kobotoolbox/dist-kobo-devel which tries to install nodejs for all components. With regard to Enketo, it seems there are shell scripts for it in the mentioned repo but it actually uses enketo_install.old.bash instead.

Will probably ask a question regarding production deployment when we want to do it separately.

Best Regards;
Hossein.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 12:38:04 AM UTC+4:30, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote:

Hi Hossein,

http://blog.enketo.org/install-enketo-production-ubuntu/. Definitely let me know if you see issues with this tutorial!

Cheers,
Martijn

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “KoBo Developers” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-develope...@googlegroups.com.

Hi Esmael. Thanks for the information.

Which revisions of kobo framework code are considered a stable release? Are the Releases of Github reops relevant here?
I’ll ask further questions in different threads to keep things organized.
Thanks;
Hossein.

···

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 8:51:56 PM UTC+4:30, Esmail Fadae wrote:

Hi, Hossein. Just to give some context, the folder of Enketo Express (EE) installation scripts you noticed in the dist-kobo-devel repo were our attempt at making the EE setup process idempotent and breaking it up into multiple scrips, akin to how KoBoForm and KoBoCAT are installed. Unfortunately, once we’d tested the new process out, we neglected to make a PR to get those changes into the EE repo, and as such, Martijn’s installation process diverged from ours and we’ve had to revert to using entketo_install.old.bash to kick off his single installation script.

Regards,

Esmail

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “KoBo Developers” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-develope...@googlegroups.com.

*Github repos

btw could you enable post editing on this forum?
Thanks again; Hossein.

···

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 11:57:29 AM UTC+4:30, Chroma wrote:

Which revisions of kobo framework code are considered a stable release? Are the Releases of Github reops relevant here?
Thanks;
Hossein.

Hi Hossein,
We have a major reboot of the dkobo project which we have been working very hard on for the last few months. The new project is structured similar to dkobo but with better integration of RESTful practices in the API (using django-rest-framework, as in kobocat) and a UI that takes advantage of it’s more robust sharing and permissions structures on the Form building side. This new UI will also support collections of surveys and sharing across users.

It uses much of the same stack as dkobo and kobocat, so it should not be trouble to install.

I just want to let you know in advance because it looks like you’re getting into dkobo, and we will be pushing up a major improvement shortly.

Thanks for your interest and support. We’d love to collaborate more with you, especially if you’re continuing to work with KoBo tools. Are you available to chat on gchat, or would you like to join a “kobo-developers” chat room?

Cheers,

-Alex Dorey

···

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Chroma mhazadma...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks;
Hossein.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 8:51:56 PM UTC+4:30, Esmail Fadae wrote:

Regards,

Esmail

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Dorey
[US+1] 1.415.886.7537

1 Like

Hello Alex;

Tino had me wait for you reply earlier. Like always thanks for the news. This update definitely requires its own announcement in this group or elsewhere; as this makes us ask how “soon” would this update roll out (I know this is programming :slight_smile: and whether these changes will be stack-wide or just in dkobo?

We have been experimenting with kobocat and dkobo, mainly regarding localization. The features you mentioned in the update are exciting to us; e.g I don’t know if it’s relevant but my colleague informed me about ‘difficulties’ in applying and usage of kobocat’s user permissions; might have been addressed in the reboot? So we’ll definitely want to keep up-to-date with what’s coming.

I’d be very glad to join a chat; just not sure what is your chat room’s service/app so I could join?

Best Regards, Hossien.

···

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:56:27 AM UTC+4:30, Alex Dorey wrote:

Hi Hossein,
We have a major reboot of the dkobo project which we have been working very hard on for the last few months. The new project is structured similar to dkobo but with better integration of RESTful practices in the API (using django-rest-framework, as in kobocat) and a UI that takes advantage of it’s more robust sharing and permissions structures on the Form building side. This new UI will also support collections of surveys and sharing across users.

It uses much of the same stack as dkobo and kobocat, so it should not be trouble to install.

I just want to let you know in advance because it looks like you’re getting into dkobo, and we will be pushing up a major improvement shortly.

Thanks for your interest and support. We’d love to collaborate more with you, especially if you’re continuing to work with KoBo tools. Are you available to chat on gchat, or would you like to join a “kobo-developers” chat room?

Cheers,

-Alex Dorey

Alex Dorey
[US+1] 1.415.886.7537

Hi Alex; Any updates?
Cheers;
Hossein.

···

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:56:27 AM UTC+4:30, Alex Dorey wrote:

Hi Hossein,

Cheers,

-Alex Dorey

Alex Dorey
[US+1] 1.415.886.7537