Mobile App can show password v1.28.0

I decided not to go with the latest version after I saw how volunteers could easily look at the password from the general settings - server page … I went with version V1.14.
Is it just me or is this a new feature?

Welcome to the community @alialfares95db! Could you list out the steps on how you could read the password under the General Settings>Server?

Also please be informed that v1.14 is an earlier version and should not support all the features that is there with the latest release of the KoBoToolbox. Besides, you should also be prone to some bugs in an earlier version. It’s always good to keep up with the latest versions of the KoBoCollect android app.

I logged in with my kobotoolbox account, I got my forms downloaded, I noticed that when I go to the General Settings > Server and I click on the password it returns the password textbox with my password showing in plaintext.
I am fully aware that using an earlier versions of kobocollect on android may be inefficient but I didn’t take that risk in order to keep the password secure when used by volunteers on their devices.

Hi @alialfares95db
The issue here is that you are actually using the wrong approach towards how you set your data collection. Ideally, the account that you use to manage the data should be a different one from the one you use for data collection. You should create another one for data collection and share the form to that account using the share permissions settings. This way, you protect the integrity of your account.

However, if you do not want to create a separate data collection account and use the old KoBoCollect application against our advice, then you are welcome to do so.

Stephane

1 Like

I understand that & I wouldn’t be able to change this protocol without this thread. thanks for the great effort.

1 Like

Still… is there anyway to hide from the eyes of the volunteer the password shown in the Server Setting section?

@basualdo, this post should help you solve your issue:

Very useful as always! Thanks a lot @Kal_Lam !!

1 Like