Multiple select with many options

Hi!

I am collecting species data from the field. Each form will contain data of which species are found on one location, so I am using a multiple select question. However, the select list of species is quite large (>200 possible species) and I was wondering how to:

1. make the select question easy to use, i.e. how to make select lists without having to scroll down hundreds of lines with choices. I know there is the “cascading select questions” but that would require me to create several questions since I will have species from several groups at the same location. Since I dont know in advance how many species I will find I would prefer having one multiple select. Is it possible to have a “start typing” way of doing this?
  2. make the form easy to check in the field. If I have selected 5 species from the list of 200 I would like to see the selected ones summarized in a short table. It would be tedious and difficult having to scroll through the whole list to find which species have been found.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Martin

Hello Martin’s.

I would like to appreciate your courage in attempting such a complex digital form.

1. I want to suggest that you group the plants into a group of about 30 similar species.
  • The single question on species would have to be spitted into several questions.

• The question would be a multiple choice question, so the enumerators can select as many as they encounter.

• The questions would also be made optional since not all the groups may have a corresponding response.

1. I think your summary table can only be drawn based on the online aggregate or the expected output - Microsoft Excel.

Am scared if that objective 2 can be achieved or received.

Alex Onatunji

Freelance digital data collection tools.

···

On Aug 23, 2018 9:28 AM, “Martin Liungman” martin....@gmail.com wrote:

Hi!

I am collecting species data from the field. Each form will contain data of which species are found on one location, so I am using a multiple select question. However, the select list of species is quite large (>200 possible species) and I was wondering how to:

1. make the select question easy to use, i.e. how to make select lists without having to scroll down hundreds of lines with choices. I know there is the “cascading select questions” but that would require me to create several questions since I will have species from several groups at the same location. Since I dont know in advance how many species I will find I would prefer having one multiple select. Is it possible to have a “start typing” way of doing this?
  2. make the form easy to check in the field. If I have selected 5 species from the list of 200 I would like to see the selected ones summarized in a short table. It would be tedious and difficult having to scroll through the whole list to find which species have been found.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Martin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “KoBoToolbox Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.