Offline Issues

Hi everyone,
since the email feedback is quite slow I just post some of my issues here. Maybe someone can help or some developers recognize my issues and can fix them.
1. When I upload the forms to my PC and want to edit a form it shows
me “invalid id” as soon as I click the “edit” button. I am not able
to edit forms offline atm

2. The images are not shown in the "view" option on my pc. I can

download them, but would be nice to have them integrated, when I
have a closer look at a certain form

3. The evaluation offline is not working very well. At least all the

charts and graphs are not working for me. Would be nice to have at
least a few options to evaluate things visually. Right now I expoert stuff to Excel and evaluate either there or in EpiInfo. But it would be great to do it directly on the server and just save those files as images. A very nice feature of EpiInfo and other toolbox is also to add filtering to evaluation so that you can e.g. only evaluate forms with a certain aspect.

Thanks so far for your nice toolbox.

Hi Sven,
Let’s see if we can narrow down your issues so that we can identify and fix any potential bugs you might have come across.

Issue 1: What do you mean by “upload the forms to my PC”? Which edit button do you mean, on which screen? Are you referring to the formbuilder or the Android KoBoCollect app?

Issue 2: Images can be visualized either in the “Gallery” option in your project dashboard or you can download them in a ZIP file, or you can see them in the popup box when viewing your GPS points on a map. It’s not yet possible to also see them inside the data table, though.

Issue 3: Using KoBoToolbox offline through the Vagrant install option is still experimental, though we definitely want to make sure all features online are also available when you use it offline. Exporting to Excel or other software is definitely the best way to analyze data for now, whether online or offline. We’re close to releasing a major new Vagrant box version, which we’ll announce here once it’s available. (Though it’s always possible to create it from scratch of course.)

Best regards,

Tino

···

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:22 AM, sven....@informatik.uni-erlangen.de wrote:

Hi everyone,
since the email feedback is quite slow I just post some of my issues here. Maybe someone can help or some developers recognize my issues and can fix them.
1. When I upload the forms to my PC and want to edit a form it shows me “invalid id” as soon as I click the “edit” button. I am not able to edit forms offline atm

2. The images are not shown in the "view" option on my pc. I can download them, but would be nice to have them integrated, when I have a closer look at a certain form

3. The evaluation offline is not working very well. At least all the charts and graphs are not working for me. Would be nice to have at least a few options to evaluate things visually. Right now I expoert stuff to Excel and evaluate either there or in EpiInfo. But it would be great to do it directly on the server and just save those files as images. A very nice feature of EpiInfo and other toolbox is also to add filtering to evaluation so that you can e.g. only evaluate forms with a certain aspect.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tino Kreutzer

Program Manager KoBoToolbox

Tel +1 617 372 7051 | Skype tinokreutzer
tino.k...@kobotoolbox.org

Thanks Tino for the reply. Sorry for not providing enough information.

1. With “upload” I mean, when I am using the smartphone for data acquisition and upload from android to my local pc. Then on my pc I can doubleclick a certain form in the table view to see the form in enketo. And there is a big “edit” button on top, which is not working for me. (I am using the prebuild dropbox offline version for virtualbox)

2. What I would like (and think should be possilble) is not to see it in tableview, but when you doubleclick a form (like in issue 1) and see the form, it would be nice to see the photos. Imagine you have like 200 or more forms and you know that in a form in a range of maybe 10 days is an important picture. Then you have to open all forms, see which images are associated, go to gallery (or download zip) and find those names of the images. If you could just open those forms and directly see besides the data also the images it would simplify the process a lot

3. I am looking forward to this release as I will give an internal workshop for our field officers at my NGO. Of course I know that it is not possible to keep the prebuilt version always up-to-date. Unfortunately, due to our limited internet access, I can not rebuild all the stufff all the time. But having a simple evaluation on the local server (on- and offline) would simplify the entire pipeline. At my NGO I am the IT technician and only available til summer. When I leave it would be nice, when my colleagues could easily use kobo without having a complicated pipeline including as few external programs as possible.

Thanks for all your great work.

···

Am Mittwoch, 29. April 2015 20:58:31 UTC+3 schrieb Tino Kreutzer:

Hi Sven,
Let’s see if we can narrow down your issues so that we can identify and fix any potential bugs you might have come across.

Issue 1: What do you mean by “upload the forms to my PC”? Which edit button do you mean, on which screen? Are you referring to the formbuilder or the Android KoBoCollect app?

Issue 2: Images can be visualized either in the “Gallery” option in your project dashboard or you can download them in a ZIP file, or you can see them in the popup box when viewing your GPS points on a map. It’s not yet possible to also see them inside the data table, though.

Issue 3: Using KoBoToolbox offline through the Vagrant install option is still experimental, though we definitely want to make sure all features online are also available when you use it offline. Exporting to Excel or other software is definitely the best way to analyze data for now, whether online or offline. We’re close to releasing a major new Vagrant box version, which we’ll announce here once it’s available. (Though it’s always possible to create it from scratch of course.)

Best regards,

Tino

Tino Kreutzer

Program Manager KoBoToolbox

Tel +1 617 372 7051 | Skype tinokreutzer
tino...@kobotoolbox.org

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:22 AM, sven....@informatik.uni-erlangen.de wrote:

Hi everyone,
1. When I upload the forms to my PC and want to edit a form it shows me “invalid id” as soon as I click the “edit” button. I am not able to edit forms offline atm

2. The images are not shown in the "view" option on my pc. I can download them, but would be nice to have them integrated, when I have a closer look at a certain form

3. The evaluation offline is not working very well. At least all the charts and graphs are not working for me. Would be nice to have at least a few options to evaluate things visually. Right now I expoert stuff to Excel and evaluate either there or in EpiInfo. But it would be great to do it directly on the server and just save those files as images. A very nice feature of EpiInfo and other toolbox is also to add filtering to evaluation so that you can e.g. only evaluate forms with a certain aspect.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.