Problems with XLS form download from Kobo toolbox, modified in excell and recharged in Kobo

Hi guys! I’m really enjoying using kobo, but there’s something that I cant’t sort out …

I’m having some problems with a very complicated and very long form that I am trying to realize for my ngo.

Aiming to modify the column names in a faster way, I download the XLS form from kobo, I modified the column names and I changed them also inside the syntax ${…} in columns “relevance” and “constraints”.

After the upload in kobo, I am having troubles to open the form or previewing it. It gives me this error:

“There has been a problem trying to replace ${1b_Ruolo} with the XPath to the survey element named ‘1b_Ruolo’. There is no survey element with this name.”

I don’t understand what’s wrong…the columns names are fine.

Thanks for your support, best regards


Did you search for the token “1b_Ruolo” in the Excel file. There seems no variable with this name. There might also be a invisible character. So try to delete and rewrite this name (and its $-reference).

1 Like

Thank you! I think I figured out. The name must start with a letter or a _ , numbers are not allowed! It seems fine now

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the solution to the entire community @chiaramarioni! It should help community members if they have similar issues.