Pulling data from csv file

I have worked thru the fruits / mango example but it doesn’t do what I want.
Is it possible to do the following?

I want to populate fields / variables with data in the csv file according to a reference number.

The csv will have fields like :- RefNo, Name, PhoneNumber, etc

The survey will ask for the reference number - when this is entered the Name and Phone Number is filled into the questions on the form.

I then want to ask “If this information is not correct return to the Ref question and enter the correct ref number”.

So basically checking that the interviewers have the correct respondent. The correct respondents are in the csv file.

Any hints re is this possible will be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Hi everyone,

I am facing a similar issue as @memarkyb. Is there a way to do this in Kobo?

I have a CSV file with data from a previous survey round. For the new survey round, I want the previous data to be displayed after the enumerator enters the household_ID in the new survey form.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanking in anticipation.

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

This can be done using the pull data function in KoBoToolbox. For details, please see the step by step guide as described on the support article on Pull Data () functionality in KoboToolBox.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have tried everything. I get an error in Kobo “no JSON object decoded”.

HH_ID v0.csv (85 Bytes) pre-loading testing v0.xls (25 KB)

Attached above is my Kobo Excel form and the CSV file which has the information I want to load into my survey after entering a unique HH_ID.

If anyone has a solution to this, please do let me know.

Since the problem has been resolved ; I take the chance to ask from your generosity another question that is related to ‘Form building subject’ and it is regarding how to use the ‘pull data from’ in practice since there is no clarifying example in the help center " a pre -designed excel form " that we can upload and try simply ; and I will be grateful if you can provide me with such an experimental file with its pre required csv document to understand how it does work ,
with best regards
Yours
Duraid Fahmi

Hi @duraidfahmi
I am so glad the first problem was resolved.

On your second question, the article is very clear on how to do this. I suggest you carefully look at the article and follow it. It is way better doing this using that approach as opposed to an XLS and CSV which would not give you the wealth of “how-to-do-it”. Have a look at this once again (link)

Stephane

1 Like

Thanks a lot
I will try it
best regards

2 Likes