the value property to a text answer, but it always goes back to a
numerical value. I know very little about Xforms, but I understand
that is possible.

Will it be possible to have a drop down list with scroll bars later on
for bigger selections? I need some 40 possible selections or some sort
of autocomplete when entering text.

Thank you

Bergie,

this is one of those Feature vs. Flaw situations, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The auto-numbering is meant to be a feature in that it allows you to create many options that are automatically coded with simple integer outputs. If you move them around, they are renumbered automatically so that your options are always numbered 1-n which can be a big help. It makes the output data easy to key for analysis.

I see what you are trying to do with text entries, you want your output to be human readable. Is it possible that you allow the integers to act as aliases for your options. (i.e. use the numerical values and create a key for your analysis)? Are you set on using text as your option values?

The reason I ask this is that it is typical to key the options as integers, there are many reasons, chief among them being the size of the output files after data collection, which impacts synchronization, upload, and storage. It is also generally easier to analyze numbers than text. This is why we always create integer alias for options.

In any case, you have hit upon something in that the auto-numbering may be a little too aggressive. I am filing an issue report for you in our code repository. You can file bug reports at http://code.google.com/p/kobo/issues/ . I’m putting this one in, thanks for help.

~Neil

···

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Bergie bergi...@gmail.com wrote:

When I use single select question, the value that is output is only a

numerical value. How do I change it to output text in stead? I changed

the value property to a text answer, but it always goes back to a

numerical value. I know very little about Xforms, but I understand

that is possible.

Will it be possible to have a drop down list with scroll bars later on

for bigger selections? I need some 40 possible selections or some sort

of autocomplete when entering text.

Thank you

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.