Syntax for calculation when the compare variable not in the same questions group

Hi team,
instance(‘survey’)/root/data[P_Demographic/P_SN = current()/…/C_SN]/P_Demographic/P_Location here is the example in the article. But in my project C_SN belongs to different group. What should I change in the syntax? I have tried to change the 2 dots … to the name of the current question group but it doesn’t work.
Thank you all.

Hi @manh_nguyen,

In the example case, P_Demographic is the group name. Changing that to the name of your group should work.

1 Like

Hi @hakan_cetinkaya,
I mean the C_SN in the child project but in different group not the P_SN. That why I was thinking of changing the path current()/…/C_SN to like current()/group_name_in_child_project/C_SN

@manh_nguyen,

Can you try changing the syntax into something familiar to this one:

current()/../**NEW_GROUP_NAME**/C_SN

It should work in this logic, but if not, can you share the screenshot of both your parent and child projects?

1 Like

this isis the child project but i named it with p_ hope it won’t make it confused
and this is the parent project.

thank you so much for your help

I have tried both syntax current()/…/p_general/p_Case_ID and current()/p_general/p_Case_ID but it doesn’t work

@manh_nguyen,

Are the other questions work as intended in the form or is it a general problem?

Because if second, in the help article it says:

Note: The name used for the xml-external question type in the child project is crucial for linking with the parent project . In the above example, it was named “survey”, but it can be any name consisting of Latin characters and numbers.

Can you change the name of the child survey something without a _ (underscore), for example instead of p_survey to psurvey?

1 Like

this part work perfectly as below.

all the part in the general group show automatically but in the death group it doesn’t work

Hi @Kal_Lam can you help me to check the syntax in the child project please. I still couldn’t find the answer for this

parent

child

child.xlsx (9.6 KB)
parent.xlsx (6.1 KB)

I had the same challenge.

The way I solved it was by using ‘calculate’ to get my case ID in each group of the parent form.

It worked flawlessly after that.

Hope that helps,
Kabira

2 Likes

@manh_nguyen, can you check @kabira_namit’s solution to see if that works for you?

1 Like

Thank you @kabira_namit for helping out @manh_nguyen! Expecting the same in the upcoming days to make this forum a learning and sharing platform! :clap: :heart: :partying_face:

1 Like

Hi @kabira_namit . Thank you so much for your support and it’s great idea. But i could not use the calculate in the excel form, I tried to find the syntax but couldn’t find it yet. Can you please have a look at my form.

So i tried to make a new question and in the calculation column I put .=${Case_ID_A} but apparently it doesn’t work. How do i get the case ID with calculate?
child (1).xlsx (9.8 KB)

Your calculate function is incorrect.

It needs to be

${Case_ID_A}

There is no need for “.=”

Also, it’s not a text question. It’s a hidden calculate question. So you need to change your question type to ‘calculate’

Make sure that the calculate function is in each group of the parent form.

Hope that helps,
K.

1 Like

Hi @kabira_namit , it works now. Thank you very much :kissing_heart: .

1 Like

@kabira_namit, thank you for making this community a learning and sharing platform! :clap: :heart: :partying_face: