Unique ID Registry on KoboToolbox

Hello Community,

I have a form where i can collect people basic info including an ID, and this form is connected to itself so if you type the same ID you will have the option to update the user information.

The problem is whenever i update a user info by ID, the updated user is added as a new user, duplicating its ID registry, this is causing an issue when i try to look for the same user by its ID, since now its a duplicate ID value is returning an error.

Basically i would like to know if there is a way to replace the updated registry by maintaining the same unique ID?"

@eandrade, maybe the best approach here would be to use a variable that indicates whether it’s a new or edited entry. Doing so, you should be able to segregate between the two during your final analysis.

@Kal_Lam, Do you know a way of replacing existing data? in this same example if i find an existing user using their ID, how can i replace some existing data and remove the previous one? for example if i want to update the user Phone number and replace the previous one? is this something i can achieve on the XLS form settings or in KoboToolbox website?

@eandrade, so you mean you want to update the data from a dynamic data attachment?