Uploading data fails when using Google Drive/Google Sheet as server!

Submitting forms with KoboToolbox as server is successful
But when I use my Google Drive as server the upload fails.
What should I do to correct the error ?: “Upload Results: Unable to make API calls. If you are running a local build, please review the project readme.”
Is there a clear set of instructions to correctly install the use of Google Drive as my server?

Hi @DigitalWarrior,

Would you mind sharing a bit more (as requested below) so that the entire community is aware on the issue you are facing.

• Did you deploy your survey questionnaire? If yes, how?
  • Which means (ODK Collect, KoBoCollect, Enketo) are you using to submit the collected information? If you are using ODK Collect or KoBoCollect could you share with us on how you configured the URL settings (as sometimes this is the place where the error happens).
  • Were you able to GET Blank Forms in your ODK Collect or KoBoCollect?

GOOD DAY!

The survey was deployed. (From the/my KoboToolbox interface/web site after logging in.)
I’m using KoboCollect.
The Fallback submission URL is “https://kc.kobotoolbox.org
On the “Settings” sheet I used the Google sheet “Share” URL as the submission_url
I don’t get a blank form from KoboCollect - I get this message: "Upload Results Unable to make API calls . . .

Hi @DigitalWarrior,

If you wish to use your google drive (google sheet) as a server, please follow the steps outlined below:

Step 1: Login to your Gmail Account . Then go to Google Drive .

Step 2: Create a new spreadsheet in Google Drive. You could do this by clicking to the New button as shown in the image below.

Then click the Blank spreadsheet .

Change the name of the Untitled spreadsheet .

Once you have done this, you will be able to see a new spreadsheet in your google drive. Here I have renamed my Untitled spreadsheet to Example .

Step 3: We now require a sharable link which needs to be placed under the settings tab of our xlsform that we built. For this, simply right click the spreadsheet that you created in your google drive as shown in the image below.

Copy the link that you see as shown in the image below.

Paste this link under the submission_url of your xlsform (settings tab).

Step 4: You will now need to convert the xlsform to xml form. For this, you could visit the site here to convert your xlsform to xml form. Once converted, click the download XForm as shown in the image.

Step 5: Upload the xml form to your google drive (just next to where your blank spreadsheet is).

Step 6: You will now need to configure your android data collection app. Please note that at the moment KoBoCollect does not support this feature. Hence as an alternative you could use ODK Collect . Press General Settings>Server>Type . Then select
Google Drive, Google Sheets .

Then select Google account and choose a google account for ODK Collect.

Go back and then select Get Blank Form . Select the form and then press Download Selected when done.

You now have a blank form that you pulled from your google drive. Fill it as you normally do with any other forms that you deploy from KoBoToolbox server. Once you complete the data collection, you can send the Finalized Forms to your google drive (google sheet, which acts as your server).

GOOD DAY!

2 Likes

Hello I’m encountering a similar error message while trying to get a blank form from the Google Drive using Kobo collect. However it works perfectly well with ODK Collect, could there be a problem with the Kobo collect app?

1 Like

Welcome to the community @paul_asiimwe! We could try fixing this with the upcoming release of the KoBoCollect android app. But at the moment, it’s only possible using the ODK Collect android app.

Thank you, that is helpful @Kal_Lam

1 Like

Hi,
many thanks for those elements, can it work using a browser/ enketo as collection method?
Best!
Joseph