Vanishing submission data

i have a large survey (500 questions) that we’ll be deploying for about 30k respondents. i’ve set up kobotoolbox on our server using kobo-docker, and all seems well for small test surveys. but when we submit data for the big survey, it seems to just disappear. the phones say the data was submitted successfully, and the submission count is incremented, but there is no data from those submissions in the interface or even in mongodb. the logs don’t show any errors. even more mysterious, the same survey works fine on the public server (humanitarianresponse).

any ideas?

There was a recent bug where questions with double underscores in their names failed to be saved into Mongo: dot characters hashing is broken · Issue #416 · kobotoolbox/kobocat · GitHub.

Try updating to the latest kobocat (tag 2.018.06a on Docker Hub: Docker). Then enter into your kobocat container (docker-compose exec kobocat bash) and run ./manage.py sync_mongo --remongo. All the submissions are stored in Postgres first and then copied to Mongo, and this command should detect and fix any places where Mongo has fallen behind Postgres.

···

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:16:33 PM UTC-5, mlgrm wrote:

i have a large survey (500 questions) that we’ll be deploying for about 30k respondents. i’ve set up kobotoolbox on our server using kobo-docker, and all seems well for small test surveys. but when we submit data for the big survey, it seems to just disappear. the phones say the data was submitted successfully, and the submission count is incremented, but there is no data from those submissions in the interface or even in mongodb. the logs don’t show any errors. even more mysterious, the same survey works fine on the public server (humanitarianresponse).

any ideas?

1 Like