500 error on server when deploying xlsform

Hello. I just uploaded an xlsform. Its the only one in my account. It is already validated by both XLSForm online and XLSForm offline. It is also working using google sheets as the server. But when I deploy the form, I always get the server 500 error. By the way, the form is intended to be used exclusively on the android collect app. and not on the browser.
Thanks.

Hi @raffy_m,

Welcome tot he community! Would you mind sharing your xlsform so that we could have a closer look at it. Would also appreciate if you could let us know the server (OCHA or HHI) you are using.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam, thanks for the reply. I would like to inform you first that my form uses a lot of select_one_external.

I tried to edit the form I uploaded using edit and i got these errors:

Hi @raffy_m,

Kindly please be informed that if you have used the select_one_from_file question type you should be getting this when trying to edit your survey project in the KoBoToolbox formbuilder user interface. This is a know issue and our developers are working on it. Till then the solution for this is, if you have a select_one_from_file question type do not edit your survey project in the KoBoToolbox formbuilder user interface. If you do, you will loose the select_one_from_file question type.

Have a great day!

Hi @kal_lam, Thanks for responding. I had no intention of editing the form using the form builder. I just wanted to see what happens if I did.

But seeing the results now, I would like to ask if kobotoolbox accepts forms designed using xlsform that has select_one_external? Because I remember, but not sure anymore, of testing some forms in kobotoolbox that had select_one_external in them.

Hi @raffy_m,

Your survey project might loose the select_one_from_file question if you edit and then save. If you don’t it should not get lost. So my advise for you at the moment would be with not trying to edit a survey form in the KoBoToolbox formbuilder user interface if you have a select_one_from_file question.

Have a great day!

Thanks for the response @Kal_Lam . I was hoping that you will take time to examine my xlsform. It works great on ODK collect but will not deploy on kobotoolbox…

But I just found out that as a new user, I am not allowed to upload attachment so I cannot upload my xlsform

Hi @raffy_m,

You got that right. Kindly please be informed that your survey project with the select_one_from_file question should work with Enketo and ODK Collect. Apparently the same is not supported in KoBoCollect android app. The upcoming release of KoBoCollect android app should support the same.

Have a great day!

@Kal_Lam, you said that earlier that I could share my xlsform for you to take a look at, But I cannot upload an attachment. I get a message that a new user cannot upload a file.

Hi @raffy_m,

You should now be able to share your xlsform in the community!

Have a great day!

Can anyone in Kobotoolbox tell me what is wrong with my form? It is strange because it works when I use google sheets as server. The form was uploaded to kf.kobotoolbox.org but when I deployed it, I always get an error that says “unable to deploy” then is says it is a server error (500). I already shared the xlsform in the thread.

Thanks to everyone
Raffy

Hi @raffy_m,

Would you mind changing your question type select_one_external to select_one_from_file as outlined in the post discussed previously:

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thank you very much @Kal_Lam, that solved the problem.

What I did was for every occurrence of select_one_external in my xlsform, I replaced them with select_one_from_file. It was that simple.

Thanks again.

1 Like