Blocked select_multiple choices

Description

As part of a large study on mobility and contacts related to Covid-19 in Spain, I have deployed this form: https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/preview/Nf6jih7F. (The live version for submissions is here: https://distancia-covid.csic.es/encuesta/). I am now finding that there are sequences of responses that lead to some inputs becoming blocked. Specifically the following:

Steps to Reproduce

1. Enter the value 3 as a response to the question “How many people live with you in your current residence?”.
  2. Press enter.
  3. Now go back and change this value to 2 and press enter again.
  4. Now scroll down and enter a 2 (or any value) for “Approximately how many times did you leave your dwelling during the past seven days?”.
  5. Now try to select a box in the next question (“Where did you go during these excursions (check all the apply)?”).

Expected behavior

The user should be able to select multiple boxes.

Actual behavior

It is impossible to select any box. The widget appears inactive.

Additional details

I have done this on Chrome and Firefox and the behavior is the same.`

Hi @johnrbpalmer,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind sharing with us your xlsform (you could share us your xlsform in a private message if you feel that your xlsform should be treated confidentially) so that we could also have a look at the skipping patterns within your xlsform. This should better help us understand and check your issue at our end.

Have a great day!

Hi @johnrbpalmer,

Which box do you refer to? Could you kindly place a screenshot of the same. Would be much easier for us to dig into it.

Have a great day!

Sure here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 11.19.05 AM

1 Like

Hi @johnrbpalmer,

I just checked it out from the link you shared in the community and was able to fill it:

Would you mind trying it out in a different browser (modern browsers like Chrome, Firefox etc.) then the current one you are using at the moment.

Kindly please let us know what happens.

Have a great day!

Thanks, Kal. I have tried it on multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari) and the bug happens in each one but only if you follow these steps:

1. Enter the value 3 as a response to the question “How many people live with you in your current residence?”.
  2. Press enter.
  3. Now go back and change this value to 2 and press enter again.
  4. Now scroll down and enter a 2 (or any value) for “Approximately how many times did you leave your dwelling during the past seven days?”.
  5. Now try to select a box in the next question (“Where did you go during these excursions (check all the apply)?”).
1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @johnrbpalmer,

Kindly please be informed that the issue you have flagged (in this post here) is not a system bug but it’s a form design error that caused this error at your end. I finally found out the form design error that was causing this error at your end.

Everything in your xlsform was OK except for those that i have highlighted in yellow (with a red text font) is causing the issue. If you remove this from your xlsform it should work smoothly at your end.

Reference xlsform (with form design error):
covmob_survey_XLSForm_2020_05_14_23h_key_out (Form Design Error).xlsx (32.7 KB)

Reference xlsform (with form error fixed):
covmob_survey_XLSForm_2020_05_14_23h_key_out (Form Error Fixed).xlsx (31.0 KB)

Note: I have deleted all the other questions and tried out on those that had problem while testing. Hence the exact row number have changed from your original xlsform.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi Kal,

Thanks a lot and sorry for my delay in responding. I am still a little confused about this error. If I understand correctly, the problem was with using the calculated field so that I could indicate on each repeat which household member I am asking about. Is it that this is not possible to do at all (in the fixed version I see you took it out entirely)? I also use the same approach later in the survey for asking about each contact and it seems to work fine there. I also find it useful to label the repeats this way so that it is more clear for the respondent who they are being asked about. Any more guidance you can give me on this would be wonderful.

Thanks,
John

Hi @johnrbpalmer,

Basically if you wish to to refer to a variable in a repeat group that was once used previously in a repeat group within the interview, you could use the index-repeat.

e.g.

Section Demographic Characteristics

begin_repeat
name---k
end_repeat

begin_repeat
calculate---index-repeat
what did ${name} do last year to make a living?
end_repeat

For better understanding, please have a look at the post that has been discussed earlier:

Have a great day!

This is extremely helpful - thank you!

1 Like

@wroos
How to solve ?
I have faced a problem. As a multiple question 6 option, 5 must be selected. How can you choose other Specify options or not ?
Multiple_option.xlsx (13.4 KB)

@Kal_Lam, @bikky2044,
This posting refers another topic, might better be moved?.
There are a lot of examples for the question in the forum which can be found with the search function, please.

@wroos
@Kal_Lam
please help me.
How can it be possible not to show the repeat group to others specify who do not know (DK) and are not possible ?
MFS_Survey_Repeat_group.xlsx (16.5 KB)

Would you mind to study the Help Center article/examples, please?
https://support.kobotoolbox.org/group_repeat.html?highlight=repeat#creating-a-roster-repeating-group-of-questions

@wroos
Hi,
please help me.
rice
maize
Wheat
others_1
others_2
others_3
Dk
Multiple choose
How can it be possible not to show the repeat group to others_1,others_1,others_1 and dk and are not possible ?
MFS_Survey_Repeat_group.xlsx (16.5 KB)