Calculate the sum for different items within a repeat group question

Dear @Kal_Lam . I am one of the new kobo users and have a bit complex calculation (perhaps not for you) on my table . I have created a loop enabled group .and need to divide the answer of a question (an Integer) by 12 or 1 according to the selection of the answer of another question (Select One) and same goes on in until the loop is not repeated , finally the total should be shown at the end .
Following screen shot may help understand it better . Appreciate your help on this . Thank you so much.

Hi @hussaisa,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind sharing your xlsform (with only these specific questions), and explain your issue a bit so that we are able to dig in if it’s possible.

Have a great day!

Thank you dear .
Unfortunately, I am not allwoed here to upload attachments since I am a new user :frowning: .
Any other way I can share the xlsform with you .?

I hope the screen shot may help ;
survey

choices

@Kal_Lam

Hi @hussaisa,

Refresh your page and you should be able to upload your xlsform.

Have a great day!

Support_Calculation.xlsx (10.0 KB)

Hi @Kal_Lam Do you need further explanation ?

Hi @hussaisa,

Well so would you explain your requirement in detail now. Would like to see if it’s possible. Please try to be as much detail as possible so that the community understands your requirement in detail.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam ,

In the above XLSform sheet “survey” we want the value of the integer (row number 7) to be divided by the value of select_one xt7ij35 (row number 9) . In case the selection of select_one xt7ij35 is “year” it divides the integar with 12 and in case the selection of select_one xt7ij35 is “monthly” it divides by 1. . Same goes on until the loop is stopped and the final sum should be shown in the note (row number 11)

Hi @hussaisa,

You could do this as outlined in the image below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:
Image 2

Data entry as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Calculations inside a repeat group for specific items.xlsx (12.2 KB)

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Dear @Kal_Lam,

Thank yo so much for your assistance . This is different than what we are expecting , anyways appreciated your time and help.

1 Like

Hi @hussaisa,

You could also try using the theme-grid settings to see it in the view that you have shared your screenshot previously. For details, please feel free to have a look at our support article Using Alternative Enketo Web Form Styles.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam,

Thank you I have already set it as theme-grid . If I may ask you one last thing please.
How to divide or multiply integer or number value please excuse my ignorance :slight_smile:

Hi @hussaisa,

Here is an example of how you use the divide and multiply operations in KoBoToolbox:

As a backup you could also have a look at our support article Advanced Calculate Question Type. This should also be helpful for you.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam

Can you please have a look at the changes I have made but getting some error. Thank you
.Calculations inside a repeat group for specific items_updated.xlsx (11.8 KB)

1 Like

Hi @hussaisa
Could you also send a screenshot of the errors you are seeing so that I help you figure out the issue.

Stephane

2 Likes

Dear @stephanealoo,

Bundle of thanks for lending the hand . however, I have managed to fix it … Here is the final version with perfect calculation as desired . Once again appreciate @Kal_Lam for his assistance to give me the push
.Calculations inside a repeat group for specific items_updated.xlsx (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hello, I have similar issue with summation inside loop repeat. I can sum the grand total but I cannot sum the "Adult male, adult female …ect
Please help … xls is attached
summation.xlsx (11.1 KB)

@abeid, maybe this post discussed previously should help you solve your issue: