Changing Form Choices via API, need guidance

I need some guidance on updating question choices via the API. So far I have tried the following:

I have succesfully retrieved the form as xls, then edited the choices within the form with my new choices. I am stuck on where and how to replace the form with this new xls. Where do I upload a new form xls via the API?

I notice that I can apparently update assets via the API as detailed on the REST api page, but it does not detail how to adjust the choices. Can someone give me a some examples of updating choices via this endpoint?

Hi @paulsermon
Welcome to the community forum. I am recommending the following topic which should walk you through the process

Stephane

@stephanealoo Thanks, however these links detail updating submission data. I need to update the questions and their choices in the form itself.

I’ve edited my question test to make it clear that I am talking about updating the form itself.

Hi @paulsermon
Have you searched through the forum? Do you mind checking if the discussion (don’t mind the title) on this topic would work for you?

Stephane

I have indeed looked through the forum. There are many topics that come close to what we are trying to acheive, but are not quite the answer.

Unfortunately we cannot use the Media files route as our users need to be able to edit forms via the online form builder and the select_one_from_file method does not work there.

I’m specifically looking at a ways to upload the form structure by either: uploading an updated xls file, or updating the asset directly via json, or any other method that might allow me to edit choices.

Hi @paulsermon
I am leaving this open for other users. I am howevering recommending the following for your reading. Kindly dont focus on the title but rather the content

Stephane

1 Like

Hi @paulsermon, you can take either route to update your form.

1. Upload via API: I also couldn’t find documentation, but you can do the following. If your current project has the asset UID of aW5HJb2gDhpATTaAAHZdxB and you want to replace the current form with a new form of name new-form.xlsx (with a local path of /path/to):
curl -X POST https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/imports/ \
  -F file=@/path/to/new-form.xlsx \
  -F destination=https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/assets/aW5HJb2gDhpATTaAAHZdxB/ \
  -H "Authorization: Token <your secret token>"

You should get a JSON response from the request that looks something like:

{
  "uid": "it76ukZ57Ks3oSEYrgyTzC",
  "url": "https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/imports/it76ukZ57Ks3oSEYrgyTzC/",
  "status": "processing"
}
  1. You can update the form with a PATCH request directly to https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/assets/aW5HJb2gDhpATTaAAHZdxB/, updating the content with your new form in JSON format.

Note that for either of these routes, you need to redeploy the project to make it live (you can do this through the API too). An example of this and other useful API tricks can be seen here:

4 Likes

I’m afraid the content of that post does not help me with this issue at all.

@Josh Brilliant! This is exactly what I needed!

It seems I was close to acheiving this. The confusion lay around the destination parameter vs the actual endpoint to send the file to. I have now successfully uploaded a new modified form using XLS upload via the API.

I’m going to experiment using the json endpoint now, as that may be simpler for me than modifying xls in python.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

As a follow up, here is some examples of the python code I used to acheive this.

The rewriting of choices:

URL = 'https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/'
TOKEN = config.KOBO_TOKEN
XFORM = form_id
choice_id = 'xxx' # id of choice in form. This is usually some random text. You can find it if you download the xls
new_choices = [
  'Choice 1',
  'Choice 2',
  'Choice 3',
]

headers = {'Authorization': f'Token {TOKEN}'}
asset_url = "%sassets/%s/" % (URL, XFORM)

# get form as json from kobo
response = requests.get(asset_url, headers=headers, params={'format': 'json'})

# Copy the content so we can edit it (some of the response seemed immutable)
existing_content = copy.deepcopy(response.json()['content'])
choices = existing_content['choices']

for i, choice in enumerate(choices[:]): # Iterating over a copy of choices and removing matches
    if choice['list_name'] == option_id:
        choices.remove(choice)

# Append new choices
for n in new_choices: 
    choices.append({'list_name': option_id, 'label': [n], 'name': n})

response = requests.patch(asset_url, headers=headers, data={'content': json.dumps(existing_content)})

Deploying the new version:

response = requests.get(asset_url, headers=headers, params={'format': 'json'})
version_to_deploy = response.json()['version_id']

response = requests.patch(asset_url + 'deployment/', headers=headers, data={'version_id': version_to_deploy})
2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this with the entire community, and making the community rich with documentation @paulsermon :clap: Expecting the same in the upcoming days too :pray: