Deploy questionnaires without noting password

Can I send a questionnaire to enumerator without notifying my password?
I want to do remote survey without visiting a country for our survey due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If I notify my account details (i.e., login ID and password), enumerators can access to the headquarter/supervisor’s account of web site. Can I avoid letting them to know the password or use different password for a questionnaire?

Welcome to the community @rbm! You could follow our support article Collecting Data through Web Forms to learn collecting data through web forms. Here you need not share your login credentials with your enumerators.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Actually we will conduct the survey in rural areas in a developing country, so no network is available during the field survey. Would you have any other options? .

Kindly please be informed that once the form is loaded in the browser the device does not require an internet for data collection. Basically, you will require internet to load the form in your device (initially at the start of the survey) and at the end (while submitting the data to the server).

Thank you. I did not know that the web forms can be used offline. I will try it.

1 Like

Hi @rbm
Echoing @Kal_Lam, welcome to the community forum. Looking at your issue, I believe you have one more option of doing this.

Option 1: Using Webforms
This is what @Kal_Lam had indicated

Option 2: Using the KoBoCollect Application

1. You should always use one account to create and manage the project, which is the one you are using.
  2. Create a different account for data collection
  3. Share the project from the account in 1 above to the account in 2 above ensuring that you only allow it for data collection. See this link to learn how to manage permissions.
  4. You can then have the enumerators set up their KoBoCollect applications using the account details from 2 above and using the approach found in this link
  5. Any changes to the project you make in 1 will be reflected on the project in 2. However, the details of the user account in 2 cannot be used to change the project based on how you would have managed to share permissions.

Given that you may be having data collection in remote settings, without an internet connection, I would urge you to use Option 2 unless you do not have android data collection devices.

All the best

Stephane

3 Likes

Hello @rbm,
You can also configure Collect on smartphone by scanning a barcode, which can hide account info and admin settings on the Android device.

2 Likes

I could not find a document describing how to get a barcode or a QR code. Would you kindly show what I can do to get a barcode?

Great! The option 2 works, although it looks a little tricky.

1 Like

You could do it as follows:

• Configure your KoBoCollect android app setting for at least one device as outlined in the support article Collecting Data with KoBoCollect on Android.
  • Once you have set the KoBoToolbox credentials in one of your devices, you will not need to set the same configuration for other devices manually anymore. You could scan the QR CODE to copy the KoBoToolbox credentials to other devices now.
    • Open the Settings>Configure via QR code>QR CODE display from your device where you have configured your KoBoToolbox credential settings. This device should now act as a setting source.
    • Open the Settings>Configure via QR code>SCAN for a device where you wish to copy all the KoBoToolbox configuration settings. Scan the QR CODE seen in the setting source device. Once you have scanned, all the KoBoToolbox configuration settings should be automatically configured in this device.
2 Likes

Now I have got it. Actually I though the main page of my account has the QR code. It is clear now. Thank you.

2 Likes

Smart discussions here, kudos @rbm, @stephanealoo and @kal_lam
I dig the 2-account bypass and the QR code models for android users.
It would however be most helpful if a separate password can be generated for linking devices to the server instead of that which “opens the gates to the kingdom altogether”, just like the separate token key for API linking (our thoughts down here, if possible).

In all, thanks for the insights; we had all our questions answered here already before we could even say the word “Hi”.
Most helpful.

1 Like