Embedding an offline map to increase accuracy in data collection

Is there a way to embed an offline map (eg OSM data in .obf format) in the KoBoCollect form so that the location is not done blindly, only relying on GNSS and the location of the device? Having the possibility to see on the map where the GNSS location is and put the location wherever you want with your finger (eg inside a building and not outside) would be a great asset. Blind collection of GNSS coordinates is really a huge limitation in KoBoCollect vs other apps like OsmAnd or Maps.me.

Welcome back to the community, @Severin! Have you gone through our post discussed previously (it should solve your issue):

Thanks for your quick answer. I followed your instructions using mbtiles from export.hotosm.org but they remain invisible. Anyway it can be used with the online MapBox background, butit seems this map component only show the GNSS location without any possibility of moving it to a desired location. It seems to be totally disconnected to the “Record your current location” step or did I miss something?

Would you mind trying with mbtiles first (so that you could be confident with how to add layers in Collect android app) and then try with the requirement you want?

Sorry My message was not very clear. I tried with mbtiles, KoBoCollect does recognizes the file, but the map seems empty. After more tries (both on KBC and QGIS) the issue was only that these tiles are displayed only with z17 and beyond (may be a bug from the export service). So I just needed to zoom a bit. Now, how can I ask KoBoCollect “please keep the coordinates from this specifc location on the map, not the one you get from the GNSS chipset”?

Did you mean, you wanted to use your own map instead of the map provided by Collect android app?

No I do not mind the map I can used in KBT, even if better if OSM based than Google of course. The aim of the map for me is not showing my position on the map, but to choosse on this map the location I want KBT to store. Like you do in Maps.me, OsmAnd or any mapping app. Can be by pressing the location of the screen or paning the map with a fixed target in the middle of the screen.

Have you tried using placement-map? Maybe this should be what you are looking for (to solve your issue):

I did not know this parameter, and it provides me exactly what I wanted, thanks!

1 Like