Error: Generic Exception: Error Improperly formatted XML

Yes. Maybe in this case you will need to upload the submissions manually by following the support article Manually Uploading Submissions.

1 Like

Hello Annika… Tell me if you got a solution to this issue am in the same sutuation… Please Admin help me

Welcome to the community, @Mightyz! So do you also have issues submitting the data to the server? If yes, please check if the project is still there on the server for the data you are planning to submit.

I used an emoji in my form so received the Error: Generic Exception: Error: Improperly formatted XML.
However, when I tried to export data from KoboCollect manually via the following instructions:

1. Connect the device to your computer
  2. Open the device’s internal storage on your computer. … On iOS you will need Android File Transfer from Google to access the device’s files.
  3. On your device open the ‘odk’ folder.

However, there was no ‘odk’ folder on my Android phone.

In sum, I need to edit my form to remove the emoji, but I am unable to edit it. I get an error when I try to submit it from KoboCollect on my Android, and it won’t let me edit the form apparently because an attempt was made to submit it, even though that failed.

@krisknut, do you still have the submission in your Collect android app? If yes, you should be able to edit it through the Collect android app.

It is in Finalized Form and there is no option I can see to edit it. The only option it gives me for it is Send Finalized Form, but that gives the same error each time.

It is really disheartening to spend hours collecting data for a report out in the field, only to have all the information including photographs disappear from my phone after I hit Submit in the KoboCollect app and an error is found.

After searching, I found the raw data and photos on my Android phone under Android> data> org.koboc.collect.android> files> projects> instances and I was able to recreate my report and submit it.

1 Like

@krisknut, :clap: :heart: :partying_face:

If this happens in the future, you should also be able to submit the data manually to the server as outlined in the support article:

Hello dear, I have a similar problem but, the form is already in the “send finalized form” then I cannot edit it to remove the emojy. How can I do in this?

Welcome to the community, @essaipaysannat! Are you able to submit the submission to the server? Maybe you could edit the same through the server then?