How do i create a form with a likert question in KoBoToolbox?

Hello, is it possible to tell me how to enter a likert scale to my survey please?! I tried “range” bas it give me a scale from 1 to 10 while the likert scale is from 1 to 5 only.

Thankyou,

Have a great day

Hi @eds,

You could design a likert scale question as outlined below:

If you are designing a survey form in the KoBoToolbox Form Builder UI:

If you are designing a survey form in the xlsform:

In the survey tab of your xlsfrom:
Image 1

In the choices tab of your xlsfrom:
Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Likert Test.xlsx (10.5 KB)

Have a great day!

Hello,
it also works now in KoBoCollect (maybe to correct here: http://xlsform.org/en/ref-table/).
Is there an appearance option to align the likert scale vertical (e.g. for smartphone), like possible for range type? “likert, vertical”
didn’t work. It even shows this in Enketo (but no change in Collect).
Whereas “vertical, likert” will not change the behaviour. (strange?)
Kind regards

Hi @wroos,

Thank you for flagging this out that it now also works in Collect android app contradicting on what it has been documented as (as of today):

Regarding your query:

If you are designing your survey form through KoBoToolbox UI using the range question type along with the vertical as appearance as shown in the image below:

If you are designing your survey form through the xlsform, you could do it as shown below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Range Question Type.xlsx (9.5 KB)

Note: One thing that you will have to compromise with the range question type is that you will not be able to see the labels as you should with the likert appearance.

Have a great day!

Thank You so much!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam
thanks, yes, we know this for range. We are looking for a similar option for likert.
(You may also have a look at the strange behaviour in Enketo, see above).
Kind regards
Wolfgang

Hi @wroos
Unfortunately this appearance vertical will not work with Likert. On my workarounds, I use the range question but I add instructions on the questions such as on a Scale fo 1 to 5 where 1 means XXX and 5 means XXX what is your ???

This approach effectively converts the use of the range to mimic the Likert scale.

Looking into the strange behavior of Enketo

Stephane

1 Like

Hello @stephanealoo

That’s why we rarely use likert type on smartphones. As workaround, we prefer normal select_one as this shows text labels (vertical).
Have a relaxing week-end.