How to put grading (Ascending/descending) questions in Kobo

Dear Support,

I am planning to put a grading question (Ascending / Descending ) in Kobo. How can I put and what is the best way to put a grading question in Kobo
Regards,
Sanjay

Hi @ssinha,

Welcome back to the community! Would you mind explaining a bit on what you are referring to as a grading question in KoBoToolbox. Maybe we could help you out (if it’s doable in KoBoToolbox) if we clearly understand the jargon you have used.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for offering support. I managed to add grading question in the Kobo form and seems to be working fine. Thanks again for the offer.
Regards,
Sanjay

1 Like

Hi @ssinha,

Could you be kind enough to share the same with the community as a reference so that they could use them when needed/required.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi,
Sure. I will share with the community as reference. But I am yet to achieve what I want.

I want to understand one thing. Is it possible in grading question that if a family have only 2-3 applicable options among 7-8 options, the enumerator can move to another question ? If the grading question is made mandatory, our experience shows that it does not allow the enumerator to move to next question until it is graded fully with all options. But in reality the field situation may not demand for us to grade all the options even if it is not applicable to family. Family might have income from only 2-3 sources and other family might have other 2-3 income source. But in grading question, we have to select all the options even if the income source is not applicable for the family.
Is there a way to validate and move to another question after selecting only applicable options ?

Regards,
Sanjay

Hi @ssinha,

I finally got your issue. The issue you are talking about is the ranking question type in KoBoToolbox. You could learn more through our support article RATING VS RANKING QUESTION TYPES.

Kindly please have a look at the post discussed previously on how to make a ranking question optional:

Have a great day!

Hi,
No, it doesn’t solve the problem. when I made it optional, it still shows the options as mandatory and it does not move to next question without providing ranking to all the options available even if it is not applicable. Please let me know some other workaround.
Regards,
Sanjay

Hi @ssinha,

Could you kindly share your xlsform so that we too could have a look at it. Besides, also please try explaining it in detail regarding how you wish to see your form being designed. Maybe the community could help you out.

Have a great day!

Hi,
Once you uploaded the XLS as mentioned by @Kal_Lam, did you attempt to edit it before redeploying? Note if you attempted to edit after uploading the XLS the mandatory requirement may come back.

Stephane

Exactly., you are right.

1 Like