Metadata - device type, screen size (resolution)

What is the general goal of the feature?

The goal is to find out what device (smartphone, tablet, laptop/desktop computer), OS/Browser (iOS/Android/desktop OS), and screen resolution the survey is filled on.

What are the most likely user stories for how and when this would be used by someone on your team?

Some devices are better than others at working with maps and images. The knowledge of the device is useful for designing forms that work best for the device. For example, geopoint/geotrace widgets do not work well with small screen devices, esp. with Enketo web forms. Some Apple browsers are (allegedly) not compatible with Enketo forms at all.

Having this information can help tailor the form for the device. For example, if I know that a device screen size is too small, I will not ask the user to locate points on a map. If the browser is not compatible with web forms, I can flag or terminate the data acquisition, knowing it will be inaccurate or fail to log some/all of the data.

Can you sketch out graphically how you think this should look/work in practice?

Verbally - not graphically: the feature should be a hidden metadata question, like the current metadata questions we have available (start, end, today, deviceid, imei, subscriberiid), but include fields such as Browser, Browser version, Operating system, Resolution, This data should be made available for skip logic.

How useful would this feature be to other users or organizations?

I think it will be quite useful for any organization that uses multiple devices (tablets, mobile phones, laptops), or lets data collectors use their own devices for data entry.

What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?

I will gladly test and have others test on a variety of devices.

@zvig, linking your post here as a reference for this suggestion you have described: