Other option in cascade select

Hello, I am wondering how to add an “other” option to my final cascade select question which goes district -> sub county -> school -> teacher. I only need an other option for the teacher question. I have tried adding “or_other” to at the end of “select_one teacher” in the form, but it doesn’t work.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the community @dan_dane! Have you gone through our support article User-Specified “Other” Responses for Multiple-Choice Questions. It should help you better understand the concept of others.

In addition to the support article, maybe this post discussed previously should also help you how to work with others:

Kindly please reach us back if you still have issues.

1 Like

Hi,

I had the same problem and couldn’t find a solution online, so I’m reviving this old thread with the solution I figured out.

There is a kindof clunky way to do this, Kobo allows you to have multiple options point to the same xml value. So to get the OPs required functionality you have to make multiple copies of the other option for each item in your second lowest list (in OPs case, school).

Step by step:

1. Set up your cascading question in xlsform, adding other options for each option in the second-lowest list (school in the OP). See this template for example:
    cascade_other.xls (26.5 KB)

2. Copy the whole cascading question table from excel

3. Go to the form builder in kobo and click on “insert cascading select” at the top left

4. Paste your table into the window that appears and click ok

5. Create a text question underneath called “specify other:” and add skip logic to show it when teacher is set to ‘other’. Note: when you set up the skip logic you will see ‘other’ repeated many times. It doesn’t matter which you select.

6. You will have to add the setting inside the xlsform: allow_choice_duplicates to yes, otherwise you will get an error when you deploy the form

Here is the whole xlsform as example:
cascade example.xlsx (11 KB)

1 Like

@ralphthompson, :clap: :heart: :partying_face: