Ranking choice dynamically determined by the options selected in the previous select multiple question

Hi all,

I recently started using kobotoolbox and working great mostly. However, I am not able to formulate one question and I need help for that.
I want to prepare a question in the following way:
A. Why are you buying the product X
 reason 1
 reason 2
 reason 3
 reason 4
 reason 5
 reason 6
 reason 7
 reason 8
 reason 9
 reason 10

B. Rank the reason
reason Rank1 Rank2 Rank3 Rank4 Rank5 Rank6 Rank7 Rank8 Rank9 Rank 10
reason 1
reason 2
reason 3
reason 4
reason 5
reason 6
reason 7
reason 8
reason 9
reason 10

Now I want to make dynamically. In the first phase; consider a person chooses five reasons (let’s say; reason 2, reason 3, reason 6, reason7, and reason 8), which are appropriate for him. Now in the second phase, I want to rank only these reasons not other (i.e. here in our example we will not consider reason 1, reason 4, reason 5, reason9, reason 8, and reason10). Therefore the table will become in the following way:
reason Rank1 Rank2 Rank3 Rank4 Rank5
reason 2
reason 3
reason 6
reason 7
reason 8

This 2nd table will change as per the reason choose in the first table.
thank you

Welcome to the community @abhishekdas! Maybe this post discussed previously should help you solve your issue:

1 Like

thank you for your prompt answer. I have already gone through this. but my issue is slightly different from this. here in the second phase rank only the 3 reason/factor out of the reason/factor choosing from the first phase. But I want to rank all the choosing reason. if some one choose 3 reason in the first phase then rank this 3 reason. if some one choose 5 reason in first phase then rank those 5 reason and so on.
thank you

OK, maybe this workaround should solve your issue:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:

Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: (when 3 options are selected)

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: (when 4 options are selected)

Reference xlsform:

Ranking with Cascading.xls (28.5 KB)

2 Likes

Excellent… this is what I want to do…
thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Thank you all for raising the issues here. I tried your suggested approach @Kal_Lam but unfortunately it does not work for me. What I want to do is the following:

• Having a multiple selection question with 10 answers options out of which maximum 3 can be selected
  • Then the maximum three selected items should be ranked according to order of importance

The problem: When I preview the form in the form builder, no response options get displayed in the subsequent ranking question, even if I selected three in the previous multiple selection question.

Here is how I prepared the XLS form so far, based on your suggestions:

Could you share the XLMForm (extract), please.
You can check the issue by temporarily changing the calculate types to text.

An alternate form design would be to put a select_one first, second, third directly as initial questions, with triple select_one and a choice_filter to exclude the already selected item(s).

Maybe you can also try if the select_multiple from … is possible with rank. (I am afraid, not). See https://community.kobotoolbox.org/t/create-a-select-one-question-from-a-select-multiple-question/35087/7 and
https://docs.getodk.org/form-logic/#generating-select-ones-from-repeats

Hi @wroos, thank you for your response! I tried to upload my file, but I I got an error message that said that I cannot share files as a new user. Hope that I can share it here though at some point.

@Kal_Lam can help for your upload rights, please.

Here another previous discussion and example:
https://community.kobotoolbox.org/t/creating-ranking-questions-from-a-select-one-question-choices/37560