Replace Form Issue

I have an issue whereby I have downloaded the XLS form, made some ammendments, have attempted no upload the XLS form using the Replace Form function. However i get the following error message - Import Failed!
Name: a7GQ6HmttBy9Utn4gQxkgo.xlsx
ValueError: There are duplicates in the name column

I checked the xls for duplicates and I dont see any. Excel also fails to discover any duplicates.

I then re-downloaded the original XLS and without even opening it, attempted to immediately upload it using the Replace Form function and I get the exact same error message!

Can anyone please assist? Im on a really tight deadline :frowning:

1 Like

The same thing happened to me just now. My form was working fine till last day. I hope some server updation made this situation. I am also fed up. Today is the dead line.

Hi,
After a long trial and error method i found that in my form under survey sheet there is a column $given_name which contains a name i removed it and works now.

1 Like

Hi, so you did actually have a duplicate? Because Im 99% sure I dont have one. So I dont know what the issue is :frowning:
As mentioned I cant even replace the form I downloaded and didnt even open.

Hi,
Yes the same thing happened to me. i cant even replace the form i downloaded. thats why i said some server updation might caused this issue.

In my form i have no duplicates, it was working last day.

I have two groups but it has unique name. but it has a value in $given_name. i just removed it and it works fine then.
pls find the attachment

1 Like

Hi mate, yes I understand what you are saying now. I also have a $given_name column that I havent seen before and suspect doesnt belong on my form (I dont even collect names!). I left the column in but removed any data in that column and the XLS is now uploading. Well spotted!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this solution with the entire community, @Lakshmikanthlr! :clap: Expecting the same in the upcoming days too. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks! I had the same issue with two different forms, also having tried downloading and immediately re-uploading the xlsform. I found that for one of the forms @Lakshmikanthlr 's solution worked (ie. there was a mysterious $given_name value lurking in the column). Thanks @Lakshmikanthlr !

For my second form, I found no $given_name values, however deleting the automatically generated version rows at the bottom of the survey worksheet allowed me to bypass the error and upload the xlsform.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @jcastello! Thank you for sharing the solution with the entire community! :clap: It should help users having similar issues. Expecting the same in the upcoming days too. :pray:

Hi @jcastello, @Lakshmikanthlr, @clinto69 thank you for reporting this issue. We are busy investigating :+1:

2 Likes

Hi, Thanks you so much. I’m also too this replace form issue. Finally I saw your conversation for that. I am also removed value in $given_name and it works fine.

2 Likes

Hello,
The $given_name column is nothing new. It is where the KoBo system places a dublicate original name when it replaces it automatically, creating a unique name. Example “lpr” was the duplicate and is replaced automatically by lpr_001.

You should avoid to get $given_name column as it always indicates a critical duplicate issue before. Any other coding, like constraint, relvant etc. will still refernce the original name which now has changed. So, will refernce the first apoearance, which normally was not your intension for the duplicate (2nd one).

1 Like

Hi @wroos, @zinnweaung, @Lakshmikanthlr, @jcastello, @clinto69, a fix has been deployed to address this. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Hello,
Sorry, I think automatically renaming duplicates was never a brilliant idea as this will create problems/errors on any code references on the original name.

Users should always use the Online validator https://getodk.org/xlsform/ to test their original XLSForm. The validator will show the duplicate problem (without doing renaming).

$given_name column should stay in KoBo download, please, as long as KoBo does such automatic renaming. This is the only indicator that names were changed, which may destroy the originally designed references. @Josh

Hi @wroos, those are good points. You can refer to John’s explanation here:

1 Like