Seeing an error message when installing KoBoToobox in CentOS through a VM

Hello good community people,

I have setup a freshly installed CentOS 8 VM, installed docker and the other required packages, cloned the stable branch today and started run.py. You can find the configuration at https://pastebin.com/ZvaEeMHY

I configured the loadbalancer in front of the kobo server already, LetsEncrypt certificates are in place.

After the setup the containers are brought up but then I am hitting a timeout (shown here is the nth try ofc):

Removing network kobomaintenance_kobo-maintenance-network
    WARNING: Network kobomaintenance_kobo-maintenance-network not found.
    Removing network kobofe_kobo-fe-network
    WARNING: Some networks were defined but are not used by any service: kobo-be-network
    Stopping kobobe_redis_main_1  ... done
    Stopping kobobe_mongo_1       ... done
    Stopping kobobe_postgres_1    ... done
    Stopping kobobe_redis_cache_1 ... done
    Removing kobobe_redis_main_1  ... done
    Removing kobobe_mongo_1       ... done
    Removing kobobe_postgres_1    ... done
    Removing kobobe_redis_cache_1 ... done
    Removing network kobobe_default
    Launching environment
    WARNING: Some networks were defined but are not used by any service: kobo-be-network
    Creating network "kobobe_default" with the default driver
    Creating kobobe_redis_main_1  ... done
    Creating kobobe_postgres_1    ... done
    Creating kobobe_redis_cache_1 ... done
    Creating kobobe_mongo_1       ... done
    Waiting for PostgreSQL database to be up & running...
    Creating network "kobofe_kobo-fe-network" with driver "bridge"
    CommandError: Retries exceeded; failed to connect
    An error has occurred

The server has no visible load, run.py --logs is empty. The following containers are up:

docker container ls
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                     COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                              NAMES
a66ce39779fe        redis:3.2                 "docker-entrypoint.s…"   5 minutes ago       Up 5 minutes        6379/tcp, 0.0.0.0:6380->6380/tcp   kobobe_redis_cache_1
794b9b7abffe        redis:3.2                 "docker-entrypoint.s…"   5 minutes ago       Up 5 minutes        0.0.0.0:6379->6379/tcp             kobobe_redis_main_1
5b6e682775d7        postgis/postgis:9.5-2.5   "docker-entrypoint.s…"   5 minutes ago       Up 5 minutes        0.0.0.0:5432->5432/tcp             kobobe_postgres_1
770d38f96b33        mongo:3.4                 "docker-entrypoint.s…"   5 minutes ago       Up 5 minutes        0.0.0.0:27017->27017/tcp           kobobe_mongo_1

I am grateful for any ideas where to bugtrack further.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

I know it’s not terribly helpful to say, but these are Docker errors. When this has happened to me, I’ve “fixed” it by restarting the Docker daemon (or rebooting the machine).

2 Likes

Sadly rebooting does not improve the situation.

One step forward: I started the backend docker containers in the kobo-docker directory manually. Turns out there was no working DNS resolving happening. After some search I found a CentOS8 bug with a workaround: https://github.com/docker/for-linux/issues/957#issuecomment-657771419

Now the containers install further packages - but still the script times out with the same error.

1 Like

The container volumes which were left after the timed out installations prohibited the setup to progress. I deleted the .vols directory and started from scratch. Now I have a working kobo installation!

2 Likes

Hi @Kellerkind,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the entire community. It should help the entire community!

Have a great day!

1 Like