Word limit in text response field in Kobo forms

I wanted to check if there is any word / character limit while collecting data in “text” type.
Earlier, I didn’t face any challenge in terms of the word count in collecting longer text responses. But now I have observed that it limits to around 2000 characters.
Is there any way we can change this limit ?

Regards,
SHB

Hi
You may want to check on the following discussion around the same
https://forum.opendatakit.org/t/odk-collect-text-field/1945

Regards
Stephane

Hi @shb :smiley: Due to a change in Enketo, the maximum number of characters for text responses in web forms indeed recently became 2000 characters. However, we can increase this by modifying the server configuration. What do you think would be an appropriate upper bound?

1 Like

Hi @shb,

Also please be informed that if you are collecting data using text questions on your KoBoCollect mobile application you will not have to face the limits of 2000 character like you faced in Enketo. For more information please see the support article on Limits on number and text responses.

1 Like

Hi @jnm,

My sincere apologies for responding late. Some of the responses we are trying to collect using the form need the respondents to elaborate on the field situation and hence 2000 characters are limiting the details we wish to collect. May be 5000 is a good number.

1 Like

@Kal_Lam,

Hi. My sincere apologies for resposning late.

Thank you for sharing. Will try using the mobile app. It was easier to use enketo forms on laptops for questions which need longer responses. so we were using them. Will definitely check using KoBoCollect app.

Regards,
SHB

1 Like

Hello @jnm! How can I do this modification of the server?

Dear @analucia_espinoza,
maybe also have a look here?

Kind regards

Hi! I was there, but I couldn’t find that server modification :frowning: Anyway, We’re uploading a word document if there’s a really extensive description of the activity related in the form. Also, I looked up in our database and I couldn’t find any lost information after 256 characters. Some of the text responses are around 1200 characters and had no problem.

Thank you anyway! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Limit as been increased on following servers:

3 Likes

Hi Kal,
This link is not working and I want to limit the text answer to 70 characters, any sample, please share us.

Hi @LeoM
Could you try this regex(., ‘^[a-bA-Z0-9\s]{1,70}$’)

Stephane

Hi @LeoM,

Linking your other post here:

Style of input

Hi all,
I tried this text NameR A1. Name: क१. नाम: true regex(., ‘[2]{1,70}$’)

But also it is not working
I wish to do it as free input any text but not more than 70 characters including number and _,./? 22235445%&()
Style of input

1. a-bA-Z0-9\s ↩︎

2. a-bA-Z0-9\s ↩︎

Hi @LeoM,

Have you made a check with the one i have shared with you?

I didn’t see anything from you.

Try getting in to the post that i have shared.

1 Like

Thanks I got it.

1 Like

Hi Kal, I used the same ““regex(., ‘^[\D\d\s]{1,70}$’)”” in name field but it is not working for others really surprised.
Please view the attached xlsformnamw problem while using same regress.xlsx (36.1 KB)
Please check the command highlighted in red
names

Hi @LeoM,

I don’t see any issue with the name variable from your xlsform:

Or which is the question you are having issue? Please try to be specific so that we could identify the issue.