Adding isiXhosa and Afrikaans languages to Forms

Dear Forum,

We do data collection in Informal Settlement communities in and around Cape Town(South Africa) about their access to basic services. We create the questionnaires using the form builder inside the Kobo Toolbox. The problem is that a lot of our respondents struggle with English. Is their a way to create a from that ask a choice of language at the start , eg “Choose your language : a) Afrikaans, b) English , c) isiXhosa.”? Then the form automatically translates all the questions from English to either of the non-English languages? Im not a coder and an amateur at Kobo Collect(though using it for three years now). Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hi @dag1986,

May I suggest you to read this wonderful article, you can make your from in multiple languages? I also checked, there is Xhosa as a language code, but I’m not sure if isiXhosa and Xhosa are same or not?

https://support.kobotoolbox.org/language_xls.html

If you need further help, don’t hesitate to ask.
Best,

1 Like

Hi @hakan_cetinkaya , thank you for this. I will check out the article and let you know what happened. And , yes, isiXhosa is the Xhosa way of saying Xhosa(normally used by English speaking people), so the same thing.

1 Like

@dag1986, this support article Adding Another Language in the Project Dashboard should also be helpful if you are using the Formbuilder.

@Kal_Lam and @hakan_cetinkaya , thank you both. I succeeded using your advise and following the URL’s. I could add the language and code for a language(lets say for “Afrikaans”). Thereafter I click “update translations”. In the following window I then had to manually do the translations for each string. For Afrikaans it was easy, because its one of my languages. But now I want to add Xhosa( which exists here https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry ) but don’t have command of Xhosa( though my respondents do). Cant KOBO do the translation automatically, then I just go in to do corrections? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @dag1986,

As far as I know, there is no automatic translation implemented in KoBoToolbox.

1 Like

@dag1986, maybe you could use the google translate feature that should help you with the translation. But make sure you share the translated text with someone having command over the language before you mark it final.

1 Like