Adding QR codes and manual entry to single and multiple select choices

Does anyone know if for a single or multiple select question one can add different choices for example; So instead of just having the possibility of choosing from a value. The list would give the option to manually enter data, get a bar code, enter gps coordinate etc? Below is a sample question

1. Enter HouseHold number:
    a. manually enter number
    b. scan QR code
    c. Enter gps

-nabil

It would have to be in another variable. In xlsform I’d do it like this (sorry, I don’t write long-hand xml yet.) :

survey

type
name
label
appearance
relevant

select_one hh_ident
select_hh_ident
Household identify:

text
hh_barcode
Scan a barcode.

selected(${select_hh_ident},‘a’})

geopoint
hh_gps
Collect GPS coordinates.

selected(${select_hh_ident},‘b’})

text
hh_number
Input household number.
numbers
selected(${select_hh_ident},‘c’})

choices

list_name
name
label

hh_ident
a
manually enter number

hh_ident
b
scan QR code

hh_ident
c
Enter gps

Is this what you meant?

/r

Nik

···

On Sunday, July 8, 2012, Nabil mansouri wrote:

Does anyone know if for a single or multiple select question one can add different choices for example; So instead of just having the possibility of choosing from a value. The list would give the option to manually enter data, get a bar code, enter gps coordinate etc? Below is a sample question

1. Enter HouseHold number:
    a. manually enter number
    b. scan QR code
    c. Enter gps

-nabil

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/kobo-users/-/M2ykX-RxzAAJ.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

Can you tell me how to know what time that we scan the barcode? i want to know time that barcode has been scan

Hi @Ah_ly,

I would advise you to add a time question just before or after the Barcode/QR Code question to trap the time of the scan.

Yes, I know but if the enumerator can change any time if i put time after or before. That right? Does it have other to track it.

Hi @Ah_ly,

In that case I would recommend you to collect time as shown in the post below where the enumerator will not know that the time is collected as the time should collect in the background. With this you could collect time either before the scan or after the scan (as per your wish).

The link to the forum discussion:

1 Like

There’s a trick you can use to capture a timestamp when you (first) answer any question, barcode or otherwise:

once(if(${barcode} != '', now(), ''))

Basically, once() is actually re-calculated continuously (!), but will only ever over-write its existing value if it is currently null. The if(...) condition inside captures the now() timestamp only when your barcode (or whatever result you are interested in) is non-null. Hence, the first time your result becomes non-null the timestamp is captured during the immediate recalc cycle, but then wont get overwritten again.

Caveat: this captures the first timestamp. So if the user re-scans the barcode it wont capture the new timestamp.

Here’s a simple form to play with:

barcode_timestamp.xls (25 KB)

2 Likes