Adding recordings to surveys for illiterate participants

Hi KBT family,

I hope all doing well, doing some productive work by staying home.

I have a question regarding to adding media to surveys. I am trying to create a form and add media recordings to help people who are illiterate but still can fill out the survey by guiding recordings. I would like to add a read-out recordings to each question that will automatically will be played once the respective page is displayed.

I’ve already tried the instructions from the following article : https://support.kobotoolbox.org/en/articles/592424-adding-media-to-your-form

Problem is sound media is not automatically played and cannot be added to above the questions.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Hi @mcaglidil,

You could design a survey form with audio inputs as follows:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

Reference xlsform:
Audio Recording Survey.xlsx (8.9 KB)

Steps to follow:

1. Upload the xlsform.
  2. Deploy the survey form.
  3. Add media to the project through Settings>Media>Add Documents also outlined in the support article here.

Please note:

1. The media file should be in wav format.
  2. Your android device should have a voice recorder. If you don’t have, you could download one from the play store. I have tested RecForge II it works fine.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thank you for your guidance. However, the media in settings is not loading at all. I’ve tried with Chrome, Mozilla and Edge but none of them displaying settings page anymore.

It just appears this white screen.

Hi @mcaglidil,

Could you let us know the server you are using.

Have a great day!