Adjusting the size of images in forms

My KoBoToolbox survey includes many media files (images) embedded in the form. Respondents have to view these images and make choices based on the information contained in each image. My issue is that the images are currently to small for respondents to see the level of detail required. I have tried to resize the image files in Microsoft ‘Photo’ by manually changing the dimensions and then re-uploading them to KoBoToolbox. However, no matter how much I enlarge the images using this method, the size of the images does not change when I actually deploy the form. Am I reaching some sort of maximum size limit for images in KoBoToolbox, or is there another way to increase the size of each image?

Hi
Could you share the sample image you are using so that I try using it on my end. Also confirm the following

1. What is the data collection platform you are using?
  2. Does this affect one or all your images?

Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your response.

I am collecting the information on tablets using KoBoToolbox in offline mode, and I’ve designed the form in excel .

There are many images in my form, and currently there are two separate issues:

1. On Page 7, the issue is that all three of the images regularly fail to load. Images on Pages 6 and 8 are all okay, and are an acceptable size.

2. Pages 9-24 each contain one image (a ‘choice card’) and these are the images that I’m having trouble with in terms of size. When I deploy the form on KoBoToolbox on the tablets, these images are too small for people to be able to read the text etc. - they have to zoom in which is clumsy and time-consuming. I would like to be able to resize these images so that they are useable.

This is a link to the survey, and I’ve attached a sample of one of the choice cards: https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/#cJtf91RJ

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Zara

This is one of the images on Page 7 which is failing to load:

mixed

Hi
Just presenting the images as I see them

Could you clarify what is the image type for these images i.e. png, jpg, bmp ? Is this image type different from the rest of images that show up differently

When you look at the images, you have combined multiple images into one and as such you end up with smaller images within this image. The size of what I have is the maximum size you can achieve on the screen. As such when you have multiple images combined on the layout, there is a compromise on what you get to see

Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your response.

The images on Page 7 are all jpg. images, which is the same as all the other images that I have. They are not different in file size either. I will play around with trying to convert them and re-size them, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for the clarification about the choice card images - I will play around with some different layouts to see whether I can increase the size in any way.

Kind regards,
Zara

1 Like

Hi Zara,
Thanks. Later on today I will look at another option you can use to layer to make your question be a single question on the page.
Stephane

1 Like