Attachment is not found after downloading

Hello.

We have a form in Kobo with the obligatory attachment. It works fine, but we have a problem sometimes. When we collect our data, I download all attachments in zip file and unzip it on my computer. Than when I look through the records, for example I need to see a file for this record. When I do a search by id, there is such folder for the attachment, but there is no any file inside. It doesn’t happen for all files, but in very few cases. But still we need these files. So I am trying to understand why it happens. Again the question for adding the attachment is obligatory, so the person can’t submit the form without the attachment. Thank you

Hi @reachiraqorg,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind checking out under DATA>Table and see if it’s available in your KoBoToolbox server.

Have a great day!

Hello dear.

Yes, I checked on of the records, that I can’t find the file on the computer. The name of the file is written in the table.

Hi @reachiraqorg,

Could you kindly please let us know the file type (i.e. pdf, png etc.) that is present in the server but is not seen while downloading. I would like to try a similar file format at my end.

Have a great day!

Hi @reachiraqorg
In addition to what @Kal_Lam has requested, could you please confirm the size of the missing file/s. Sometimes when the file attached is too large, it may break during submission and the file is not uploaded with the data collection instance. So kindly confirm the size as you confirm the details requested by Kalyan.

Stephane

1 Like

Dear Kal_Lam,
the types of files are pdf, doc, docx. Now I checked again, in the Data table in Kobo, I can see the uuid for this file, but when I search by this uuid on my computer, the folder is not existed in the files location.

Dear Stephane, hello.

Can we find out the size of the files attached? I didn’t find how. But according to our form settings, the attachment can’t be more than 5 mb.

Hi @reachiraqorg,

Could you kindly provide us the following (through a private message) as outlined here so that we could have a closer look at your issue:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server (OCHA or HHI)

Have a great day!

Sure, I will share with you. Thank you

1 Like

Apologize, but when I try to send you personal message, it say: you can’t send message to this user.

Hi @reachiraqorg,

You should be able to. Would you mind trying it now!

Have a great day!

Hi,
Could you please point us to an example of which case has missing files, this will enable us to troubleshoot. Kindly do not share identifier information in the process.

Stephane

1 Like

Hello. Apologize, I didn’t understand, what exactly should I specify? Also I had missing file case just recently again.

Hi
Can you point us to the UUID which has a missing file as an example.
Stephane

1 Like

For example, this: 5485f37a-5212-4313-8a8a-363160b5c573
and this: 4234a915-5f3f-4b6f-bf46-7c09d1ebfaf8

Hello. Today we have this problem again, and we urgently need the attachement. What can we do?

Apologies for the inconvenience caused!

If an attachment is missing and does not appear in your server, then it might be that the KoBoToolbox server has never received it :frowning:

It may still exist on the device used for data collection.

Maybe it would be wise to contact the person sending you the attachment and see his/her device for the unsent attachment.