Auto select option that was not chosen

Hi team,

I have a few questions regarding the wrong selection of single and multiple-choice questions . Our enumerators have reported that they have encountered various scenarios, which their selection was changed. Below is the explanation of the issues.

Issue1:
Question: Since March 2020, has the hours of your paid work…… (select_one)
Choices:

1. Increased
  2. Stayed the same
  3. Reduced
    Follow-up question: if increased/reduced, how much on average?

In this case, let’s say the enumerator choose option1 (increased) and then type 20% for the follow-up question. When they move to another question, their selection changed to option3 (reduced) and kobo asked them to type the follow-up question again.

Issue2
Question: Who make decision to buy bicycle/motorcycle/car/other vehicles? (select_multiple)
Choices:

1. Yourself
  2. Your spouse
  3. Your mother
  4. Your father
  5. Other family member(s)

In this case, let’s say the enumerator only select 1 and 2. But, when they move to another question, their selection also include 3 and 4. Therefore, they need to come back and deselect options that they did not choose.

I have also attached a part of the xls form for your reference. We used iPad and Enketo as datacollection tool for this fieldwork. At first, we thought the browser could have been the cause since we used Safari, so we switch to chrome. However, the issues were not solved. The same scenario keep happening. I have also tried going through the xls form many time already, but I couldn’t spot any error that could cause these issues.

Therefore, I would be very grateful if you can take a look at xls reference, or provide any advice on how I could fix these issues. I’m looking forward to your response.test-error-1.xlsx (12.2 KB)

Welcome to the community, @benghong_siela_bossb! Would you mind sharing with us a short video that supports this? That should be very helpful to troubleshoot.

I see. Currently, I don’t have a video capturing the mentioned issues. I will get back to you as soon as I have it. As of now, would you mind letting me know whether there is anything wrong with the coding used in the xls form?

1 Like

You could always capture syntax issues through this online validator.

Thank you for your prompt response. I actually have used the online validator that you have suggested, but it does not return any error that would trigger the issues I have, although it does point out certain header rows where I intendedly did not put any label in it. Could that be the cause for these errors?

Maybe a video as requested earlier would help us better troubleshoot the issue.

Continuing the discussion from Auto select option that was not chosen:

Hi again, I finally have captured the problem with the video screen recording, but now I cannot find the function to upload this video for you to see. I tried to compress the file for attachment but it didn’t work. it seems like I am only allowed to post images. So I decided to upload it in Youtube, and paste the link here instead (https://youtu.be/44yVuoH2_g8).

As you can see from the video, issue number 2 (question 9.6 in the video) is very visible. This issue happens very frequently and is a major concern for our fieldwork, meanwhile, issue number 1 is a one-time thing. I would be very grateful if you can provide a solution to this issue.

1 Like

@benghong_siela_bossb, thank you for sharing this issue in a video format. Will see it more closely and then get back to you when I find anything.

Hi @Kal_Lam, since you have not responded to this issue, I’m assuming that there is no solution to it. The best we can do now is to ask the enumerator to be careful on questions where issues happen. But now, besides this issue, our enumerators also report the problem of sudden error, where the form no longer loaded halfway into the interview. I’m guessing this is caused by whatever caused the previous issue that I reported. Hence, I’m hoping that further improvement could be made to troubleshoot these issues. Thank you for your responses so far.

1 Like