Background audio recording

Hi everyone,
Could you please tell me if the Background audio recording using the built-in audio recorder feature implemented in kobotoolbox?

Welcome to the community, @dahmane86! Kindly please be informed that this is a work in progress feature and KoBoToolbox will soon bring this feature live. I will let you know when it’s available.

Thank you for answering my question.

1 Like

@Kal_Lam Could you please tell me approximately when this feature will be available in Kobotoolbox?

Hello,
Might be interesting for the community to share your usecase for this feature. Thanks.

Hi,
The goal is to know if the enumerators ask the questions in a clear and understandable way or if the questions are not well formulated in order to have good quality data.

1 Like

As this will include personal data, data protection rules might ask for documented agreement of all recorded persons (enumerator, respondent)…

FYI background audio recording was add to ODK Collect in release v1.30.0, about a month ago. So I expect it’ll show up in KoBoCollect app when the next fork happens; @tinok may be able to tell you when the next release update is planned (and confirm whether this new feature will indeed be included?)

2 Likes

The next version of KoBo Collect will include this feature and we expect it in the next week or so.

@wroos, this is an optional feature that allows users to opt in to creating a full background recording. We actually championed this feature, see this post for the original description.

3 Likes

I believe this applies to all data with personal identifiers collected and not only background audio. As such, the type of data collected is thus the sole responsibility of the investigator/s to ensure all ethical concerns are addressed. The compliance to ethical concerns when collecting data from any platform would thus be limited by how the investigator/s define their access, processing, and storage.

Stephane

2 Likes

is this feature already available? I’m really looking forward to this feature

@akoh, will let you know when this feature is available.

@dahmane86, @wroos, @akoh, kindly please be informed that KoBoToolbox now supports background-audio with the upgrade of pyxform. It can be integrated to the xlsform as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

Image 1

Background audio stored in the server (DATA>Table):

Background audio (recorded in .arm format) can be download from DATA>Downloads>Media Attachments (ZIP)

Reference xlsform:

background audio.xlsx (10.0 KB)

Note: This feature at the moment is only supported through Collect android app. Enketo does not support this.

For more details on other new features, please feel free to go through our release note:

1 Like

@Kal_Lam thank you so much and thanks for kobo team for this job.

1 Like

@Kal_Lam Thank you for the information. Great job Kobo team. I’m really looking forward to this

1 Like