Can data collected in different time zones affect time recorded in field?

Hi I’ve noticed that some of the time entries will be off by 1-3 hours (or sometimes a random number of minutes) when I look at the time on the KoboToolbox website and times that were entered in the field (we are working across North America, but our project is based in Boise, ID). I was wondering if the website tries to sync up the data with local time? Or if this is a common problem that users have where times are incorrect?

Before our team members go into the field they make sure that the phones that we are using (Samsung smartphone) are synced with the local time zone.

Thanks,

Jay

Hi
When it comes to the time, it is important to note the following.

1. A time question will pick the device time and as such any errors on the device time will be reflected on the device.

2. Submission of data time is however based on the server time which do not necessarily mirror the local country time. In this case all the submission times will be relative to each other regardless of the data collection point’s timezone.

3. When using calculate functionality for time, it is important to use the time question in 1 noting the issue raised within that point

Regards
Stephane

1 Like