Cascading select for other options not showing that usually should based on previous response

Hi @sintang20,

It’s still protected:

Have a great day!

Survey.xlsx (59.9 KB) try again!

Hi @sintang20,

It’s OK now. Will get back to you when fixed.

Have a great day!

Hi @sintang20,

One quick issue identified. When checking it through this site, i see that there are choice names that are repeating.

Could you kindly have a look at them first.

Reference xlsform:
Survey.xlsx (59.9 KB)

Have a great day!

Thanks Kal_Lam, there are indeed many duplicate names at the muhalla level, but they are each in different baladiyas so aren’t in error. My understanding is that if they are distinctly identifiable, there shouldn’t be a problem?

Hi @sintang20,

Would you mind making them unique by using some signs such as _1' or _aetc. The more unique thenameis for eachlist_name` the better and easier to manage data.

Have a great day!

I completely understand what you are suggesting and why- the problem here is that this list of locations is aligned with the list used by other units within the organisation.
To make changes on the names will affect how the data will align with their lists already in use I believe- i.e. the intention is eventually to link data collected from these surveys etc, that this list of locations will form a part of, will be matched to their coordinates for mapping. If I make changes to the names, then my understanding is that then they will also need to make changes so they will align? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but they already have SQL developed and in use, using this exact list of place names…

In normal circumstances, I would contact IT for assistance with my original problem, but unfortunately one is on leave and the other resigned, but I still have a need to make a functional survey in the meantime.

Hi @sintang20
An easier way is to give each location a value (name) that is a number e.g. 10001 to infinity. You can always keep the original code that links to the value at later stages. As @Kal_Lam has indicated you need to make the names unique and the use of numbers would make more sense for this case.

Stephane `

Thanks @stephanealoo, and that may well happen in the future. For now though, I just really want some assistance with the problem that I’m actually requesting help for?

Hi @sintang20
This is the solution to your problem. I would suggest you follow what @Kal_Lam has indicated; the names have to be unique for this to work unfortunately without that there is no way to help you on this matter.

Stephane

oh my, the problem is the muhalla option showing, not the duplicate names? I can’t make organisational decisions as to how they choose to name locations at the moment!

Hi @sintang20,

Le’t try to roll it back by starting from scratch. So would you start with a small question (maybe 1 or 2 that should solve your issue), instead of sharing with us the entire question (which would take time for us to understand the depth at a go). You could then adjust the same in your xlsform once it’s solved in the dummy.

Hope this works fine for you.

Have a great day!

all I wanted to know was how to word the not(selected${baladiya})) under relevant as none of the different options I tried seemed to function. There’s nothing related to how to word this anywhere when combined with a select_one question type. All of the help relates to select_multiple so I don’t know if this is the problem or not. Frankly, I’ve given up.

1 Like

Hi @sintang20,

So let’s give it a try. Could you kindly draft only 2 questions with some choices and share it in the community.

Have a great day!

I don’t understand what it is that you’re wanting. I’ve asked the question to the best of my ability at the top of this thread. I’ve spent days trying to find a solution to this and have learned that the best solution is to completely delete the other option so that the survey is really not all that functional for the purposes required. Please just delete this thread altogether as we’re getting nowhere.

I’m using cascading select_one for locations. Select_one Area- Select_one Baladiya- Select_one Muhalla.
One of the selections under Baladiya is an ‘other’ option, with text entering.

However, I cannot exclude the selection of ‘other’ from then showing the select_one Muhalla question. Because under ‘relevant’, there are previous options related to area and Baladiya in the select_one Muhalla I’ve tried also adding ‘not selected’ but whenever I try to use ‘selected ’ or not selected’ in relevant column, they NEVER function. Help!!

Hi @sintang20,

Could you kindly remove the long list of choices and make it a small one (just keeping a dummy of what is really needed like other). As of now the choice list is extremely large. Try shrinking it to 4-5 per variable.

Hope you could help the community with this and we could carry on. This would make the xlsform more easier for the community to understand.

Have a great day!

Thanks @Kal_Lam, I’ve spent so much time trying to fix the problem that it’s impractical to continue beating my head against a wall. I’m removing the other option.

It’s apparent that there are real limitations with the cascading selection which is unfortunate given that the list of choices is, of necessity, so long.

For example, now, it would be good to be able to repeat this cascading selection later in the survey but again, no current documentation seems to exist on how to make that functional. It’s a shame that the utility of mobile data collection is impeded by a lack of any help available in relation to using XLS forms for Kobo- I’m meaning within the available resources in addition to any online assistance. I’d think I’m not the only person in the world attempting to create a data collection template for use across an entire country necessitating a comprehensive set of choices!?

Hello,
I think, there is an error in your example (screenshot surveypage). You canNOT use a choice_filter for a field of text type.

2 Likes

thanks, I’ve removed all of the other options now so this should no longer be an issue. I’ve requested this thread be deleted because it veered so far off the original topic that the responses bear little resemblance to the actual question which is of no assistance to anyone.