Change wording of question according to previous answers

Is it possible to change the wording of a question according to previous answers?

for example, I’m building a questionnaire where I ask several different questions about whether the respondents have had to pay bribe in different cash assistance situations.

e.g. :

• select one (yes or no): did you have to pay someone to register for the cash assistance. (let’s say the respondent replies “yes”)

• select one (yes or no): did you have to pay someone to receive the cash assistance. (let’s say the respondent replies “no”)

At the end of the questionnaire I want different sentences in brackets to be added depending on previous answers. For example, if the respondent said “yes” to the first above question, then only the bold sentence in brackets is shown:
"It is a concern to us that you (had to pay someone to register for the cash assistance) (had to pay someone to receive the cash assistance) (…)

So that ultimately based on the responses to the above two questions, this new question then appear as:
It is a concern to us that you had to pay someone to register for the cash assistance (…)

Is there a way to do this?

Yes, it’s possible. You could do the same as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:

Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: when nothing is selected

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: when yes is selected

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: when no is selected

Reference xlsform:

Changing question based on response.xlsx (11.1 KB)

This support article Including Responses Inside Another Question should be able to help you further on how to include a response within a question.

Sorry, I think my question was misunderstood a little bit.

I want to create an entire new question (so not just a note to be read out loud) based on the response.

Because the new question would be:
Select one (yes or no): It is a concern to us that you had to pay someone to register for the cash assistance, is it okay that we inform our donor about this issue?

@annemettebt, you could still fit in the note question type to text question type from the workaround shared above. It’s just a dummy xlsform trying to show how you could use the information to another question (when you have certain criteria).

Hi @annemettebt
Have you tried applying skip with different questions skipped based on the response you are looking for? Logically this looks like a plausible approach to addressing the issue.

Stephane

1 Like