Changing select one questions to select multiple in a form with some data already

Hi,
I have a form with choices assigned as select-one. Some data have been collected already with the form. However, after collection the choices were realized to be in the category of select-multiple. Can I change the type through xls without any issues later?

Welcome to the community, @aav11242! Changing the select_one question type to the select_multiple question is impossible through the Formbuilder. You could, however, overcome this change by following the instructions outlined below:

• Download your survey form as XLSForm.
  • Make necessary changes to the question type, i.e., change your question type from select_one to select_multiple.
  • Save the XLSForm.
  • Replace the XLSForm (or upload the XLSForm back to the server).
  • Redeploy.

Be sure to check this out in a dummy project so that you are aware of how the data is stored on the server.

1 Like

In addition to Kal_Lam.
As far as I know, if you only change the type, but keep the name of the variable (and the choices) the existing data will be mapped to the select_multiple structure, representing a single choice. You may test this with an extra project/form.

1 Like