Choice filter from select_many to select_one with exception

Hi!
I would like to pull the choices selected in a Select_multiple question into a select_one, excluding one option. Is this possible?

Example:
select_multiple: Q.1 Please select the documents issued by the authority:
a) ID
b) Passport
c) Drivers license
d) Birth certificate
e) Other

Repeating Group
select_one: Q2. Please select the document you will provide details for:
I would like the drop down list here to include all options selected on question 1, except “Other”.

Welcome to the community, @pallone! Maybe this post discussed previously should help you solve your issue:

Hi @Kal_Lam, thanks for the warm welcoming!

It doesn’t seem like this would solve my problem, because my first question is a select_multiple and not a select_one. Right now I’m not using cascading, just “selected(${Q1},name)” in the choice_filter column. But if option “Other” is selected in Q1, it’s also pulled into the list. So I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent “Other” from being pulled.

Do you see what I mean?

Would you be able to show us a sample of what you are doing and that is not working? Maybe that would help the community to better understand your issue.

Here is an example of the survey tab:

Choices tab:

What it looks like on the form:

Even if option “Other” is selected on the first question, it should not be included in the drop-down list of the second question.

Hi @pallone

You don’t need to add others to the choice list for the second question. You can do this on the choices sheet of your xls form. Could you please send the XLS form you used for this survey?

Stephane

@pallone, maybe this post discussed previously should show you how to do it as advised by @stephanealoo:

Hi @stephanealoo, thanks for the tip! I thought that the choice filter only worked if pulling from the same choice_list. Many thanks and all the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a problem with using the options filter, as it shows the option that contains a value that matches the value of the question, as shown in the screenshot.

Welcome to the community, @amani5! Maybe you will need to explain your issue a bit more if it’s related to KoboToolbox so that the community should also be able to help you out.