Connecting KoBoToolbox data with Power Bi (without making data public)

Hi everyone! I am trying to connect kobo to Power BI using the aforementioned steps above, but I keep getting this error message:

Can anyone please advice me? I have tried to reset the privacy settings but with no luck…

Thanks in advance for any help!

@j_fog, have you gone through this post discussed previously (it should help you solve your issue):

Please also feel free to go through our support article Pulling Data Into PowerBI.

1 Like

Thank you so much for getting back to me @Kal_Lam !

Yes, well I originally did the API connection above (which was a bit tedious not going to lie). Then I did it the “?format=csv”-way (which you have linked) and it worked well for displaying the kobo project dashboard. However, I am trying to extract data from kobo to fit data uploaded from excel and the “=csv” leaves out columns and tables that I need. So, I changed the URL to be “.xlsx” and “.xls” instead of “?format=csv”. Yesterday, this worked fabulously, but today the access to the forms were denied (for some reason…). So, I decided to go back to square one since that at least kept the connection active even when I closed Power BI og logged off of KoBo (both of which had severed the connection for the “xlsx” plan… I really appreciate any advice on this!

Thank you so much again!

Are you using the OCHA server?

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

When I opened Power BI today, the error message read:

• Query ‘ABC’ (step ‘Reordered Columns’) is accessing data sources that have privacy levels which cannot be used together. Please rebuild this data combination.

Then I would refresh the dataset and get this message:

@j_fog, well as a quick check would you mind trying it out by making your data public to see if that works?

1 Like

I see how you are thinking and that is definitely a plausible solution. Although it is fine to try this out with a prototype, I would need the connection to work without making the data public. I understand if that means I have to manually download and upload the data onto the Power BI using excel. Do you know if there is any other way around it?

Thank you so much for your advice! I truly appreciate your help.

If you do not wish to make your data public, try as outlined in this Microsoft Doc (it should help you solve your issue):

1 Like

You are a star! Thank you very much :smiley:

1 Like

Hi again, unfortunately I could not manage to make it work… I am exploring other options for connecting data. In any case, thank you so much for your advice on this! I will make a post if I am able to solve it :ok_hand: :crossed_fingers: